What are the dirtiest jobs in science?

In summary, the conversation discusses various dirty and unpleasant jobs, including collecting animal waste, de-winging fruit flies, and working with smelly animals. The conversation also mentions some humorous job ads for positions such as manure inspector and orangutan-pee collector. The conversation ends with a reference to a previous thread about collecting rhino semen."
Physics news on Phys.org
well most of those are bad but I've seen worse on mike rowe's dirty jobs show

Now I could go for scrambling around volcanos, but those other jobs sound :yuck: . At university, I used to drive past a field of cows who had holes in their sides. The holes were capped so that one could remove the cap and reach inside. However, those holes usually overflowed with the contents dribbling down the sides. :yuck:

I use to de-wing fruit-flys to pay my way in school. It wasen't to bad, except when you went to wash up and found wings stuck to your face.:eek:

:uhh: My Ph.D. was in an animal science department. I've been around people who do a number of those things (the worst is collecting rumen contents...that odor just sticks to you even after taking a shower). We used to know which grad student had just passed through the hallways by which animal odor was lingering behind. There is no way to stay clean working with sheep either, and nothing much worse than grabbing a sheep first thing in the morning and feeling the moisture seeping through your scrubs to your skin when you know it's not water that they've gotten on their wool overnight. :yuck:

I can picture some of the want ads now:

Manure Inspector wanted. Looking for a self starter who is anxious to dig in. Must be neat and have your own car. Sinus trouble a plus. Unless you don’t mind waste, don’t waste our time.

Bring a jar, plastic sheets and your sense of adventure...Orangutan-Pee Collector wanted. (What did you think the job was?)

Hot-zone Superintendent wanted. Never mind what the duties are. Do you want a job or don’t ya?

Semen Washer/Volcanologist wanted: Monitor regions to determine when they'll erupt next.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the 10 dirtiest jobs in science?

The 10 dirtiest jobs in science can vary depending on the field and specific job duties, but some common dirty jobs include sewage treatment plant operator, animal waste inspector, landfill manager, oil rig worker, and hazardous waste technician.

What are some potential hazards of working in these dirty jobs?

Working in dirty jobs in science can expose individuals to a variety of hazards, such as exposure to toxic chemicals, physical hazards like heavy lifting or repetitive motions, and biological hazards from handling waste or working with animals.

How do scientists protect themselves from these hazards?

Scientists working in dirty jobs take various precautions to protect themselves from hazards, such as wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) like gloves, goggles, and respirators, following safety protocols and regulations, and receiving proper training and education on handling hazardous materials.

What are some of the benefits of working in dirty jobs in science?

Despite the potential hazards and discomfort, there are some benefits to working in dirty jobs in science. These jobs often pay well, provide opportunities for hands-on experience and problem-solving, and can have a positive impact on the environment and public health.

What skills and qualifications are necessary for these dirty jobs in science?

Specific skills and qualifications may vary depending on the job, but some common skills needed for dirty jobs in science include physical strength and stamina, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and knowledge of safety protocols and regulations. Many of these jobs also require a degree in a related field, such as environmental science or biology.