1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Insights 10 Math Tips to Save Time and Avoid Mistakes - Comments

1. Oct 13, 2017 #21
    I love the "Write instead of think." step. I tend to think of doing proofs as 'thinking on paper."

A bit of a modern challenge to the usual idea of doing easy questions first:

https://lifehacker.com/improve-your-test-scores-with-the-hard-start-jump-to-e-1790599531

Short version:
    1. Try the hard problems first, but don't waste too much time on them
    2. Do the easy problems
    3. Go back to the hard ones to finish

By starting 1, you get your brain rolling (subconsciously) on the harder problems while you are doing other stuff. Sometime it takes our brains a bit to pull stuff out of the filing cabinet.

2. Oct 13, 2017 #22

wormbread

Gold Member

Right on! I had a Calculus and an Engineering professor both say that when in doubt, draw it out.

3. Oct 19, 2017 #23
    I would always rush and make the dumbest mistakes. Seeing things that weren't there, not seeing things that are there and even things like adding when there is clearly a minus sign!

4. Oct 25, 2017 #24

SciencewithDrJ

Gold Member

5. Dec 1, 2017 #25

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Dec 2, 2017 #26

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted