What Does the 10% Resistance Boundary Mean in Circuit Measurements?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of resistance tolerances in a series circuit. The speaker used a 98Ω resistor and measured the current and voltage output from the battery, calculating the resistance to be 106.38Ω. They also mention the 10% boundary and its meaning in terms of resistor values. The conversation concludes with a question about whether the tolerance applies to the manufacturer's stated value or the measured value using an ohmmeter. The expert clarifies that the tolerance applies to the manufacturer's stated value, and the measured value may vary due to the accuracy of the ohmmeter.
Daniel2244

Homework Statement

if someone could help me with this it would be much appreciated. In physics, I used a 98Ω resistor in a series circuit and measured the current and voltage output from battery, using the current and voltage I calculated the resistance. I=0.0094A V=1 Rt=1/0.0094=106.38Ω even though it exceeded the RT 98 it's still in the 10% boundary.

Homework Equations

RT=R1+R2+...RN

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what the 10% boundary means. Is it the error% of the resistor? so anything in the 10% boundary is correct but anything below/above is incorrect and there is something wrong with the circuit? for example, faults wires faulty DDM(digital multi-meter)

Physics news on Phys.org
Resistance tolerances mean exactly what they say. 10% means that the value can vary by 10% (up or down)

phinds said:
Resistance tolerances mean exactly what they say. 10% means that the value can vary by 10% (up or down)
Thanks for clearing it up for me :)

You can buy resistors with various tolerance bands such as 10%, 5%, 2%,1% etc. The tighter the tolerance the more preferred values there are (can be) in the range without overlaps.

CWatters said:
You can buy resistors with various tolerance bands such as 10%, 5%, 2%,1% etc. The tighter the tolerance the more preferred values there are (can be) in the range without overlaps.
So would I ±10% for the value of a resistors stated by the manufacturer (200Ω) or by the resistance I measured (197Ω) using a ohmmeter?

Daniel2244 said:
So would I ±10% for the value of a resistors stated by the manufacturer (200Ω) or by the resistance I measured (197Ω) using a ohmmeter?
The resistor manufacturer guarantees their components to be within the stated tolerance.

The value that you read using a meter will tell you the actual value for your resistor to within the accuracy of your meter (Meters aren't perfect, either!).

Likes CWatters
gneill said:
The resistor manufacturer guarantees their components to be within the stated tolerance.

The value that you read using a meter will tell you the actual value for your resistor to within the accuracy of your meter (Meters aren't perfect, either!).
Ok, thanks

1. What is a 10% resistance boundary?

A 10% resistance boundary refers to the maximum amount of resistance that a material or object can withstand before breaking or failing. It is often used as a safety measure in engineering and construction to determine the structural integrity of a design.

2. How is a 10% resistance boundary calculated?

The 10% resistance boundary is typically calculated by taking the maximum load or stress that a material can handle and multiplying it by 0.1 (or 10%). This will give the maximum amount of resistance that the material can safely withstand before reaching its breaking point.

3. Why is a 10% resistance boundary important?

A 10% resistance boundary is important because it helps ensure the safety and reliability of structures and materials. By knowing the maximum amount of resistance that can be applied, engineers and scientists can design and construct buildings, bridges, and other structures that can withstand the expected stress and load.

4. Can the 10% resistance boundary be exceeded?

Ideally, the 10% resistance boundary should not be exceeded. However, in certain situations, such as during natural disasters, the stress and load on a structure may exceed the calculated boundary. In these cases, safety measures and emergency protocols should be in place to prevent catastrophic failure.

5. How can the 10% resistance boundary be improved?

The 10% resistance boundary can be improved by using stronger and more durable materials, conducting thorough testing and analysis during the design and construction process, and regularly monitoring and maintaining structures to ensure they are meeting safety standards. Additionally, advancements in technology and engineering techniques can also contribute to improving the 10% resistance boundary.