Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

10 synchronized clocks

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1

I need to build 10 7segment clocks that will be synchronized among themselves.
    [Just a regular clock that will display the current hour, only 10 of those, and in different places in the room].

I thought about building a microProcessor-based clocks that will be synchronized among themselves.

How do I do it in that way or any other way?

Any suggestions will be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2
    10 radio controlled clocks.
  4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

How are they powered? If they can count AC Mains 60Hz zero-crossings, they will stay synchronized automatically.
  5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And how precise does it have to be? There are now methods that can be used to synchronize two clocks with a precision better than 1 part in 10^18 over a distance of a few km.
    Now, I am guessing that you don't need that kind of precision:wink: but the point is that there are standardized methods for synchronizing clocks with very high precision; so the question is what you need?
  6. Oct 13, 2008 #5

Repeat the display part 10 times but you may need extra transistor stages to allow the clock chip to drive 10 displays.. Always will be locked and only one setting operation. Link by a ring - 17 way mini cable. Chip is AT90S2313

Maxim make clock and display chips.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?