Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

100 degrees F at 8 PM

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a killer July for us here in Oregon. Normally we only have 5 days in July over 90 degrees [Portland]. This month it will be more like 12, with 4 or 5 days over 100. :yuck:

I left California to get away from this nonsense! There ought to be a law!!!

Seriously though, while we Oregonians are wearing t-shirts when people in L.A. have on heavy coats, many of us are heat wimps.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah... I live in Fresno.

4. Jul 28, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know. I'm sorry. :cry:

Fresno is great if you love the heat.

5. Jul 28, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Reminds me when I was complaining to my friend about the tuition increases. We're up to $3000/semester and i was complaining to her at lunch about it and then I remembered and brought up how she was paying $40k/year at her old university :rofl:.

6. Jul 28, 2009 #5
    Can't take the heat, Ivan?:biggrin:

It has been a bit uncomfortable trying to sleep the last few days, but not too bad for me. I was told when I moved to Arizona that the heat would thin out my blood. I doubt that's true, but I have developed a tolerance for the heat. Now that I live in Oregon I can deal with this weather well. It's just 6 months of the year that are chilly for me. It's even worse when I visit my parents at Christmas and it's below freezing all day and night. I'm a cold wimp.

7. Jul 28, 2009 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ack, that's horrible Ivan. You can come down here, we've been dealing with record cold. They're predicting that 2009 may the second coldest year since 1856.

8. Jul 28, 2009 #7
    I'm a heat wimp too. I always wanted to move to Oregon. At least it still rains alot right?

9. Jul 28, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We gets lots of rain, and in the winter I've seen the temperature hover around 40 degrees F [the ideal temperature], 24 hours a day, for weeks.

People from the sunbelt often have difficulty adjusting to all of the rainy weather. People who live in areas like Eugene, including those born here, have high rates of depression; presumably [allegedly] due to light deprivation.

10. Jul 29, 2009 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's hot here, too :(
    Had to run the contraband air conditioner tonight.

11. Jul 29, 2009 #10
    Yeah, I've heard that Oregon supposedly has, or at least at one time had, the highest suicide rate in the country. When I stayed in Coos Bay my host kept pointing out homes and businesses and telling me that the owners had commited suicide. It was a bit creepy.

12. Jul 29, 2009 #11
    I stayed in a hotel room this weekend and kept the AC on the whole two days straight. It was wonderful.

13. Jul 29, 2009 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh my God, I'm jealous!!! Was there a pool, too?

14. Jul 29, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Between the economy and the weather, the coastal areas are known for being tough places to live. In addition to the rain, they get lots of fog. Economically, it may be okay for retirement, but I would never want to try to make a living there.

15. Jul 29, 2009 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How hot was it today?

16. Jul 29, 2009 #15
    It has been nice up here on the high plains. Daytime temps around 85 if it is not raining and the night time temps have been in the mid to upper 50s. This has definitely been an off summer up here where in July we enter a drought and blistering heat till the nasty thunder storms of September and snow of November.

Now this weather really sucks for growing peppers, tomatoes, and melons but my cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, and garlic are doing great.

17. Jul 29, 2009 #16

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think we've had more than one day over 90 degrees around me. Some sort of record for sure

18. Jul 29, 2009 #17
    Yep. No one was even using it. You are always welcome to any pools I can provide.

19. Jul 29, 2009 #18

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think we have your weather.

I don't think we've had one day in the 90's all of July. It's been mostly in the mid to upper 80s, and down in the 60's at night. We've had a lot of rain too, and unfortunately high humidity. The air smells a bit musty.

We've had thunderstorms the last two days, and we're supposed to get more today.

The excessive rain has waterlogged some fields and some local farmers have lost crops. Some farmers have planted three times and lost all.

20. Jul 29, 2009 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It has been coming down out of the 90s into the 80s. It wasn't that bad outside yesterday, but in my bedroom it was 85 degrees of course. My place is the worst heat trap on the planet.

21. Jul 29, 2009 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woohoo! Thanks! :smile:

You are so fortunate to get the pool all to yourself. I was hoping to get some good pool time when I went up to Sacramento a couple of months ago. I got down to the hotel pool and there was this guy with the smelliest cigar on the planet sitting by the pool stinking the whole place up. I gave up after about 5 minutes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook