Oregon's Killer July: 12 Days Over 90° & 4-5 Days Over 100°!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, the conversation discusses the unusual and uncomfortable heat wave that has hit Oregon during the month of July. Many people are struggling to adjust to the high temperatures, while others have developed a tolerance for the heat. The conversation also touches on the rainy weather in Oregon and its potential effects on mental health. Some areas have experienced record cold temperatures, while others have seen excessive rain leading to crop loss. The conversation also briefly mentions the benefits of having a pool during hot weather.
Ivan Seeking said:
It got so hot yesterday that Dick Cheney waterboarded himself.

:rofl: I'm stealing that one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah it's 105 w/ 23% humidity here in Seattle. I'm just laying on the floor in front of the fan because I don't have a/c in the apartment. It really feels hotter in here than it does outside. =/

hollyrenee said:
Yeah it's 105 w/ 23% humidity here in Seattle. I'm just laying on the floor in front of the fan because I don't have a/c in the apartment. It really feels hotter in here than it does outside. =/
23% RH? I'd take that in a heartbeat! Gotta be typo.

turbo-1 said:

Is that low? Aghh..it feels like hell to me! I'm from Las Vegas, so I'm used to the dry heat, along with the a/c.

turbo-1 said:

I'm sure he meant 230% or possibly 23.00 which of course means 2300% :rofl:

hollyrenee said:

Ugh, now we're having scattered power outages. I checked the Weather Underground...some places are upwards of 105. Keep in mind that only about 15% of homes here have AC.

Last night's low was 71...a record high (record high low...have to say it slowly :smile:).

This heat wave is going to continue tomorrow :frown:.

Pengwuino said:
I'm sure he meant 230% or possibly 23.00 which of course means 2300% :rofl:

I'm going to bet that "hollyrenee" is a "she" :wink:.

lisab said:
I'm going to bet that "hollyrenee" is a "she" :wink:.

That I am. Haha. I figured the name would give it away, but I guess not. =D

lisab said:
Ugh, now we're having scattered power outages. I checked the Weather Underground...some places are upwards of 105. Keep in mind that only about 15% of homes here have AC.

Last night's low was 71...a record high (record high low...have to say it slowly :smile:).

Time to get to a hotel. When my a/c went out, I moved into a hotel. I always earmark a certain amount of money for 'emergencies". I cannot tolerate heat at all, it makes me physically ill, my blood pressure and body temperature drop dangerously low, I stop perspiring and break out in large oozing red welts. If I didn't have the money, I'd just go to the ER.

Math Is Hard said:
:rofl: I'm stealing that one.

I already stole it from Letterman. :biggrin:

lisab said:

Not good! We have a very small AC that we don't even use some years. When we do, it's usually only for a few days.

It's 107 here right now, but we are supposed to be in the mid 90s tomorrow.

At 108 degrees F, some areas in the NW got the highest temperatures [yesterday] ever recorded.

I just heard that at 103, yesterday was the first time Seattle ever broke 100 degrees.

You all better get used to the crazy temperatures. They are only going to get worse for the next 50 years.

A friend I know in Seattle successfully fried eggs on her dashboard yesterday. Apparently she's having an entire cook-on-or-in-your-car potluck today. :P

Here in LA it's been rather nice. Warm-ish, but not painfully hot, breezy, and it actually gets cool at night (low 60s, I think), which is great for pumping the apartment full of fresh, cool air. And by "fresh" I mean full of LA smog, of course. But at least not the same LA smog as yesterday.

Record high temperatures across the board in the Northwest.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hvp25jA_02jSEcqpsAXUp2_a-NRgD99OGNEG0
mbisCool said:
SEATTLE — Northwesterners more accustomed to rain and cooler climate sought refuge from a heat wave Wednesday, as Seattle recorded the hottest temperature in its history and Portland fell just 1 degree short of its own record-breaker.]

Last edited by a moderator:
mbisCool said:
Record high temperatures across the board.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hvp25jA_02jSEcqpsAXUp2_a-NRgD99OGNEG0
No wonder! All the Seattle weather is over here on the other end of the country. Rain, rain, rain, humidity through the roof... Did I mention rain?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having another beautiful, cool Fall day today. But It's July 30th. :bugeye:

Highs of around 90 in Philly the past few days - the first real summer heat wave we've had (we did have a couple of days in April above 90), which makes this about the coolest summer I can ever remember. Typicall July heat waves are in the mid to upper 90s. I bet we're running 5 degrees below average across the board.

[edit] According to my electric bill, the average temperature from 6/11-7/12 was 77 F and the average over about the same period last year was 72.

It's going down into the 50's tonight. But the dog days of summer are coming, that normally means temperatures of 100-105F for a week or two where I live. We haven't seen this in the last 2-3 years and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't happen. I have central a/c, but going out to a car left in the sun in that kind of heat is horrible. I've still got a scar on my left arm from where the metal seat belt piece touched my arm.

Everyone in the heat wave has my sympathy. <Evo keeps her cold air for herself>

WARNING: Horror story ahead.

I live in Phoenix, AZ where it is at least 110 degrees every day in July. I can't emphasize enough how miserable it is to be outside for any extended period of time (being more than 5 minutes).

Well, you'll never guess what happened to us in the middle of July: our AC broke down in a section of our house. The AC guys came and took out the old unit, and put in the new unit, but then realized that they had taken out the wrong unit, and another section of the house was without AC.

So we went about a week without AC in about half of the house in the middle of July in Phoenix, AZ. Not only that, but they had to rip out 3 walls in the area that had the originally broken unit, and the entire place was a train wreck, so it took another week to get all of that cleaned up.

My summer has been great, thanks for asking.

turbo-1 said:

No typo, when the temp goes up in PNW the humidity goes down. The RH in Portland was 40% yesterday (according to the weather I saw) this is way high, usually 100+ weather means 20% or even lower. This makes for mad fire conditions in the woods. They are predicting T storms in the Cascades and the Willamette Valley this weekend, the firefighters are ready and waiting. Generally T storms here are dry, only lighting and thunder, no rain.

When the temp goes up anywhere, the RH goes down, but 23% is a lot lower than I would have expected for the PNW. That's a 55 F dewpoint - is 55 F a typical nighttime low temp up there?

russ_watters said:
When the temp goes up anywhere, the RH goes down, but 23% is a lot lower than I would have expected for the PNW. That's a 55 F dewpoint - is 55 F a typical nighttime low temp up there?

Yes. We have started to cool down, and like the daytime temp, the nightime temp went down about twelve degrees. It is supposed to be about 55 degrees tonight, [Thank goodness]

Right now we are at 75 degrees and 54% RH.

That makes sense - 75F and 54% RH is also about a 55F dewpoint.

It was a very pleasing 101 with 20% RH in Arizona. Humidity a bit high but it is the Monsoon season...

wildman said:
It was a very pleasing 101 with 20% RH in Arizona. Humidity a bit high but it is the Monsoon season...

Lucky you. You live in Flagstaff or something?