Gain 100% Efficiency - Exploring Heating Elements

• Thread starter Trail_Builder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary: Think of (useful)Energy out/Energy in as a ratio that describes the efficiency. Where the highest quotient you can get is 1. You can convert it to a percentage, just multiply it by 100. So if all energy in went to its intended purpose (all energy in was useful work), we have 1*100 = 100% efficiency. I'm fine with seeing a heating element as 100% efficient, but if it makes you feel better, you lose some in the wires too...lol, thnx for that :D
Trail_Builder
(ok i not sure where this topic goes so ill take a guess its here)

ok, I hear that nothing is 100% efficienct. some energy is always lost as heat and sound. however, what about heating elements? or electrical heats or whatever, surely the lost heat (and i don't think any sound cause its electrical) isn't really lost because it can be thought of as part of the output?

can anyone explain to me where I am flawed. thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
Trail_Builder said:

ok, I hear that nothing is 100% efficienct. some energy is always lost as heat and sound. however, what about heating elements? or electrical heats or whatever, surely the lost heat (and i don't think any sound cause its electrical) isn't really lost because it can be thought of as part of the output?

Efficiency is measured by Work out/Energy in . Heat is not work. Work + heat always amounts to 100% of the energy.

AM

o rite, well my textbook (only 16yearold level lol) says efficiency was useful energy out/energy in

am i right in saying they have used a simpler version for my level then?

Trail_Builder said:
o rite, well my textbook (only 16yearold level lol) says efficiency was useful energy out/energy in

am i right in saying they have used a simpler version for my level then?

Think of (useful)Energy out/Energy in as a ratio that describes the efficiency. Where the highest quotient you can get is 1. You can convert it to a percentage, just multiply it by 100. So if all energy in went to its intended purpose (all energy in was useful work), we have 1*100 = 100% efficiency.

I'm fine with seeing a heating element as 100% efficient, but if it makes you feel better, you lose some in the wires too...

lol, thnx for that :D

Or you could look at a heating element as being (almost) 100% inefficient. Your lightbulb does useful work in lighting your room, and incidental work in heating it. The incidental work is called inefficiency in the same way that an unwanted plant is called a weed.

Now, here's the joke. Well meaning people will run out in the middle of winter to replace all their filament bulbs with more "efficient" mini-flourescents, and their baseboard heaters replace the energy they "saved".

The same point could be made about the winter energy costs of your refrigerator, computer, etc. A watt is a watt is a watt.

Efficiency refers to a value that we put on things. All of the energy is used; what percentage is used for something we want?

The reason I suggest that a heating element is 100% inefficient, is that it converts the energy directly to its lowest state. In principle, we could heat our houses with the "waste" heat from other processes.

Trail_Builder said:

A heating element will output light (EM radiation in general) in frequencies that won't be absorbed by the material in the room to increase its temprature - you can see it as energy loss.

BillJx said:
The reason I suggest that a heating element is 100% inefficient, is that it converts the energy directly to its lowest state. In principle, we could heat our houses with the "waste" heat from other processes.

I agree - I would say in general converting energy to a state of more disorder is "inefficient".

What is the purpose of exploring heating elements?

The purpose of exploring heating elements is to understand the principles behind how they work and how to maximize their efficiency. This knowledge can then be applied to design more efficient heating elements for various applications.

What does it mean to gain 100% efficiency in heating elements?

Gaining 100% efficiency in heating elements means that all of the energy put into the system is converted into heat without any losses. This is the ideal scenario, but in reality, it is difficult to achieve due to factors such as heat loss to the surroundings and energy losses in the conversion process.

How do heating elements work?

Heating elements work by converting electrical energy into heat energy through the process of resistive heating. When an electric current passes through the heating element, the resistance of the material causes it to heat up and produce heat.

What factors affect the efficiency of heating elements?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of heating elements, including the material of the element, its design and construction, the temperature it is operating at, and the environment it is in. Other factors such as the current and voltage used, as well as the proper insulation and maintenance, can also impact efficiency.

How can efficiency in heating elements be improved?

To improve efficiency in heating elements, it is important to select the right materials and design for the specific application. Proper insulation and regular maintenance can also help to minimize heat loss and maximize efficiency. Additionally, using the appropriate voltage and current can help to optimize the performance of the heating element.