1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

100% Efficiency?

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Hello;

Is there a 100% efficient component? One where there is no waste energy? Or something that is completely renewable such that all the energy wasted is put back into the component?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2
    No such thing as a 100% efficienct component.

And remember
    100% Utilisation =/= 100% Efficiency.

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    You can convert electrical or mechanical energy to heat with 100% efficiency.

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, DanielR implies, an electric space heater is 100% efficient.

6. Mar 28, 2010 #5
    Hmm, very true I didn't think of that, being a mechanical engineer I immediately think of moving parts and heat usually = baaad.

Electric space heaters are a horrible way of providing heating though, as a system. But that wan't what the OP asked : /

7. Mar 28, 2010 #6
    Transformers can have efficiencies of over 99%

8. Mar 28, 2010 #7

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isn't superconducting wire 100% efficient at transfering electric power?

9. Mar 28, 2010 #8
    Yes, superconductors are 100% efficient at transferring power/storing electrical energy
    but the op wants a component he probably doesnt mean a superconductor...:D

10. Mar 28, 2010 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, although an electrical water heater could be thought of as being 100% efficient, the whole 'system' won't be.You will either have to be heating up the kettle (or what ever), which is a waste or you will be losing finite amounts of heat to the surroundings.

A superconductor may be lossless but producing superconductivity involves the input of energy into the refrigeration system - so even that, when viewing the system as a whole, does not provide you with 100% efficiency.

The only way to eliminate loss is to do nothing!

11. Mar 28, 2010 #10
    Yes somewhere i studied that transformers have the highest efficiency known to date.

12. Mar 29, 2010 #11
    Thats the line I was thinking along, it's why I said 100% utilisation and 100% efficiency are different things.

13. Mar 29, 2010 #12

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes: the term 'efficiency' actually refers to 'Useful' work / energy out.
    When it comes to utilisation of energy, the human on a bicycle is not too bad, actually. Ine sarnie will take you a long way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook