1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

100 Meter Dash

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    A sprinter can accelerate with constant acceleration for 4.0s before reaching top speed. He can run the 100-meter dash in 10s. What is his speed as he crosses the finish line?

I need help with this problem.

I know that for the last 6 seconds because he has reached top speed that he has constant velocity. During the first 4 seconds I must use a Uniformed Accelerated Motion formula, and I think I need to actually combine 2 of them together; however, I get an unrealistic answer, like 15m/s, which I know is incorrect.

Please help me find the sprinter's speed as he crosses the finish line?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Show us how you got 15m/s. (Which is not crazy, by the way. Since 100m is convered in 10s, the average speed is 10m/s. The speed at the end must be greater than this, since it starts off at zero.)

4. Oct 4, 2007 #3
    Actually I change my answer... 12.5m/s

But I am still a little skeptical about one step, I actually used another person's related forum to solve some of it and at the part I get stuck I used his/her but I am not quite sure if it is right.

First
    x= xi + vi(delta t) + .5 a(delta t^2) UAM FORMULA
    x= 0+0+.5a(4^2)
    x= 8a

Then
    Vf= Vi + a(delta t)
    Vf= 0 + a(4s)

Therefore 4a= (100-x)6

And

4a= (100-x)6
    4a= (100-8a)6 <--this is where I used another source and get confused on the next step
    32a = 100 ?????? is this correct??
    a= 3.125

Now Final V

Vf= 4s times 3.125m/s

Vf = 12.5m/s

The sprinters speed as he crosses the finish line is 12.5m/s.

Please Help!!! Is this the correct answer or approach to this problem.

5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Almost. You've got the 6 on the wrong side in 4a=(100-x)6; it should be (4a)6=100-x, because the velocity is 4a, the time is 6, and you multiply these to get the distance, which is 100-x. With this correct form, you then have 24a=100-x=100-8a, or 32a=100.
    And 12.5m/s is the correct final answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?