Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

100 years of flight: today

1. Dec 17, 2003 #1
    I have been reading into some of the engineering behind the Wright Flyer. It's pretty astounding. These guys were truly amazing.

Some particular points that I find interesting.

1)The airfoil design: They designed and tested a model using a crude wind-tunnel.

2)The propellor design: They engineered wood propellers which were amazingly efficient (even by todays standards: give or take)

3)They designed and built thier own IC engine from scratch since they couldn't afford (or find) a commercial product meting thier requirements. :|

4)They didn't die in the project.

Is it just me or were these guys in a league of thier own, especially when you consider their backgrounds and budget? How did they master such a broad range of engineering discipline in their spare time? I am feeling very small at this point: so I will stop now.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Scientists and engineers think a lot alike. They had the required mindset and the tenacity to use it to find the answer. Amazing, but not unforseeable.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook