Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

100 years of flight: today

1. Dec 17, 2003 #1
    I have been reading into some of the engineering behind the Wright Flyer. It's pretty astounding. These guys were truly amazing.

Some particular points that I find interesting.

1)The airfoil design: They designed and tested a model using a crude wind-tunnel.

2)The propellor design: They engineered wood propellers which were amazingly efficient (even by todays standards: give or take)

3)They designed and built thier own IC engine from scratch since they couldn't afford (or find) a commercial product meting thier requirements. :|

4)They didn't die in the project.

Is it just me or were these guys in a league of thier own, especially when you consider their backgrounds and budget? How did they master such a broad range of engineering discipline in their spare time? I am feeling very small at this point: so I will stop now.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2003 #2

Staff: Mentor

Scientists and engineers think a lot alike. They had the required mindset and the tenacity to use it to find the answer. Amazing, but not unforseeable.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?