1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1000 Hz corresponds to I = 10^-12

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    If 1000 Hz corresponds to I = 10^-12 , then how do you find I for other given frequncies?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to tell us what you mean by I. Units would be helpful.

4. Oct 12, 2004 #3
    I would be intensity, in watts/squared metre.

5. Oct 13, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no intrinsic relationship between frequency and intensity. Frequency depends entirely on the situation and the spectrum of radiation. For example, a tuning fork designed to vibrate at 1000 Hz will emit virtually no other sound at different frequencies. A VLF antenna designed for 1000 Hz will emit little outside a narrow band of EM frequencies centered on 1000 Hz. Blackbody radiation may be distributed over a very broad or relatively narrow spectrum depending on the temperature of the emitting object

First, are you thinking of acoustic waves, EM waves or something else? Perhaps you're thinking of energy of photons rather than intensity? What's the physical situation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?