What is the frequency of a gamma particle with an energy of 4.5 MeV?

• Thread starter WPCareyDevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the problem involves finding the frequency of a gamma particle with an energy of 4.5 MeV. After some research and guidance, it was determined that gamma particles are electromagnetic radiation and can be thought of as photons. Using Planck's constant and the formula E=hv, the frequency of the gamma radiation can be calculated.
WPCareyDevil
[SOLVED] (101)Gamma frequency?

Homework Statement

A gamma particle of energy 4.5 MeV is detected as a product of some nuclear reaction (4.5 MeV is 0.72 pJ). What is the frequency of this gamma radiation?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using d=vt because it was the closest formula I could find in my notes that had anything to do with frequency. I assumed v=3x10^8. Of course, the answer was not correct. Could someone point me in the right direction here? I figured out every other problem but this one, and I only have 1 attempt left

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi WPCareyDevil,

What is a gamma particle? (For example, an alpha particle is a helium nuclei, a beta particle is an electron or positron.) Once you identify what it is, what is the formula for its energy?

(I'm wondering about your choice of d=vt. Is it because of the v? If so, in this equation v is velocity, not frequency.)

Well I have done some research and Gamma particles are elctromagnetic radiation (light emission).. E=mc^2 obviously comes to mind, and I could find the mass of the particle, but how does frequency factor in?

I used d=vt because of the t (t^-1=frequency). It was a long shot and didnt make sense to me, but it was the closest I could find and every once in a while Ill connect with a shot in the dark on Webassign.

That's right; gamma particles are electromagnetic radiation, and when we speak of their particlelike nature we speak of photons.

So here you need the expression for the energy of a photon. What do you get?

Last edited:
Ah hah! I googled around and found Planck's constant as well as the formula e=hv where v is the frequency. That was something I didnt learn in class at all. Thanks for the help Alphysicist!

What is "(101)Gamma frequency?"

(101)Gamma frequency is a type of brain wave that falls within the gamma frequency range of 30-100 Hz. It is associated with cognitive processes such as learning, memory, and attention.

How is (101)Gamma frequency measured?

(101)Gamma frequency is measured using electroencephalography (EEG), a non-invasive technique that records electrical activity in the brain. EEG sensors are placed on the scalp and detect the frequency and amplitude of brain waves.

What are the potential benefits of (101)Gamma frequency?

Research has shown that (101)Gamma frequency may have a number of benefits, including improving memory, enhancing problem-solving abilities, and increasing focus and concentration. It may also play a role in conditions such as Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia.

How can (101)Gamma frequency be induced?

(101)Gamma frequency can be induced through various methods such as meditation, brain stimulation techniques, and exposure to specific auditory or visual stimuli. It can also occur naturally during tasks that require high levels of cognitive processing.

What are the potential implications of (101)Gamma frequency for the future?

Further research on (101)Gamma frequency may lead to advancements in cognitive enhancement techniques and treatments for neurological disorders. It may also provide insight into the mechanisms underlying complex brain processes and consciousness.