Solve (101) Nuclear Energy - Get pJ & MeV Answers

• Thread starter WPCareyDevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the triple-alpha process in older stars converts three alpha particles into 12C and releases energy. The mass of an alpha particle is 6.646477E-27 kg and the mass of 12C is 19.926464E-27 kg. Using the formula E=mc^2, the energy released in this process can be calculated as 1.42 pJ or 8.9 MeV.
WPCareyDevil
[SOLVED] (101)Nuclear Energy

Homework Statement

According to the Big Bang model, all of the 12C in the universe was made in stars. One process that occurs in older stars is the triple-alpha process in which three alpha particles are turned into 12C. The mass of an alpha particle (an alpha particle is a 4He nucleus) is 6.646477E-27 kg. The mass of 12C is 19.926464E-27 kg. How much energy is released in the triple-alpha process? Give your answer both in pJ and in MeV.

Homework Equations

Thats.. what I need to know.
1 eV=1.6x10^-19 J
pJ= x10^-12

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know the formula required to solve this; this topic was glanced over during a class and a half, and I had to miss one of them. Could you please help me out?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Heard of E=mc^2 ?
Whats the mass of 3x alpha particles, what's the mass of 12c, what's the difference?

Haha, I feel stupid. Thank you for the quick response!

Can you tell me what answer you got. Thanks.

1. What is nuclear energy?

Nuclear energy is the energy that is released when the nucleus of an atom is split or fused. This energy can be harnessed to generate electricity and power various devices and machinery.

2. How is nuclear energy produced?

Nuclear energy is produced through a process called nuclear fission, where atoms of uranium or plutonium are split apart in a controlled chain reaction. This releases a large amount of heat energy, which is then used to generate electricity.

3. What is pJ and MeV in relation to nuclear energy?

pJ (picojoules) and MeV (mega electron volts) are units of measurement used to express the amount of energy released in nuclear reactions. pJ is typically used to measure the energy released in nuclear fission reactions, while MeV is used for nuclear fusion reactions.

4. How is nuclear energy used?

Nuclear energy is primarily used to generate electricity, but it also has other applications such as powering submarines and spacecrafts, and in medical treatments such as cancer therapy.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear energy?

The advantages of nuclear energy include its low carbon emissions, high energy production, and reliability. However, some of the disadvantages include the potential for accidents and radioactive waste disposal issues, as well as the high cost of building and maintaining nuclear power plants.