Noise in 7-10.5 kHz Range: Solutions Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses a high gain current to voltage amplifier connected to 2-3 meters of coax that is experiencing noise in the 7-10.5 kHz range. The amplifier may be unstable and oscillating in that region due to the large capacitance of the coax. The amplifier is a two-stage design with the first stage having a 100mV/nA gain and possibly using an AD549 opamp with a 100Mohm feedback resistor. The second stage uses an instrumentation amplifier with adjustable gain, followed by a simple lowpass filter and another opamp. The user has tried adding a 10nF cap to filter the noise, but is concerned about losing bandwidth. The current being measured is 1
nbo10
Hi all,
I have a high gain current to voltage amp connected to 2-3 meters of coax which is picking up noise in the 7-10.5 kHz range. Does anyone have any expereince in waht could be the source of this noise? Right now I'm using a couple op-amps and a low pass filter to get the noise to a acceptable level but I would really like to get that bandwidth back. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the amplifier specifically designed to drive the large capacitance of 2-3 meters of coax? It's entirely possible the amplifier is unstable and oscillating in that region of the spectrum.

- Warren

As long as he has his impedances matched the coax should not appear as capacitive. Tell us more please nbo10.

It's a two stage amp.
The first stage has a 100mV/nA gain.
I can't say much about the first stage beacuse they sanded the part number off the opamp and the circuit is kinda small. But I think it is a AD549(inverting) and 100Mohm feedback resistor. I measured the capactance of the coax I'm using and it's around 500pF. The literature from the Amp manufacturer says that in the worst case I would have 100pF at the input.

The second stage is pretty basic. There is a Instrumentation Ampilfer that provides a gain of, 1, 10, or 100. Followed by a OP27 with adjustable gain 0.75-1.25. Followed by a simple RC lowpass filter. Then another OP27.

I put a 10nF cap across the feedback resistor of the first OP27 to help filter the noise. It does an alright job, but I'm worried that I need the bandwidth.

THe current I'm measuring is about 1nA.

Thanks

1. What is noise in the 7-10.5 kHz range?

Noise in the 7-10.5 kHz range refers to unwanted sound or electrical signals that fall within the frequency range of 7,000 to 10,500 Hertz. This can include sounds from various sources such as machinery, electronics, and even natural phenomena like thunder.

2. How does noise in this frequency range affect us?

Exposure to noise in the 7-10.5 kHz range can have various effects on individuals, including temporary hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and difficulty understanding speech. Prolonged exposure can also lead to permanent hearing damage.

3. What are some potential solutions for reducing noise in this frequency range?

One possible solution is to improve the design and engineering of machinery and electronics to reduce noise emissions. Another solution is to use sound-absorbing materials or barriers to reduce the transmission of noise. Additionally, implementing regulations and guidelines for noise control can also help mitigate noise in this frequency range.

4. How do scientists measure noise in the 7-10.5 kHz range?

Noise in this frequency range is typically measured using a sound level meter, which measures the sound pressure level in decibels. Other specialized equipment, such as a spectrum analyzer, may also be used to analyze the specific frequencies and identify sources of noise.

5. What are the potential long-term consequences of not addressing noise in this frequency range?

If noise in the 7-10.5 kHz range is not properly addressed, it can lead to negative impacts on public health, including hearing loss and other related health issues. It can also have economic consequences, such as reduced productivity and increased healthcare costs. Additionally, excessive noise pollution can also harm wildlife and disrupt ecosystems.