Why Are There 11 Dimensions in M-Theory?

• Thread starter PhanthomJay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses the numerical significance of the 11 dimensions in the Universe and whether other Universes could have more or less dimensions. The concept of extra-dimensions and string theory is also mentioned, along with the idea of brane-world scenarios. The discussion also touches on the Anthropic Principle and the potential dominance of M-theory in the scientific literature. Some recommended books on the topic are also mentioned.
PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Aside from the math behind the theory, what's the numerical significance of the 11 dimensions in this Universe? I'm not talking about the mathematical solution, but rather, what are the properties of the Universe that limit this number to 11? Or is it as significant or insignificant as the properties of the Universe that limits lightspeed or the dimensionless constants to certain numbers? Could other Universes have more, or less, dimensions? Or even an infinite number? I don't see why there should be a finite limit.

And as I recall, String theory used to say 10 dimensions, or perhaps 21 dimensions; apparently, the math worked out for both numbers. What happened to the 21?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin_Axion said:
This articles concern the idea of extra-dimensions (modular functions, number of dimensions, compactifications...):

Thanks for the links! Pretty much beyond my comprehension, though. I guess I'll just have to accept it; however, at some point in time years ago, a renowned physicist (I forget her name) claimed that some of the extra dimensions may not be curled up small, but might instead be large, something , I suspect, like another Universe hidden beyond the 4D 'observable' spacetime dimensions. Do you know anything about this?

It's fine, I don't plan on reading it. I'm sticking with my Carl Sagan, Roger Penrose and Feynman stash.

As to why 11 dimensions maximum, that's from the details of supergravity theories. If one tries to construct a supergravity theory with more than 11 space-time dimensions, one finds multiple gravitons and particles with spins more than 2, both of which are troublesome.

11D supergravity has a rather simple set of particles:

A graviton (space-time)
A gravitino (vector-spinor)
An antisymmetric 3-tensor

Kevin_Axion said:
It's fine, I don't plan on reading it. I'm sticking with my Carl Sagan, Roger Penrose and Feynman stash.
Hawking refers to Feynman's work frequently. Soon, I think, I will have better understanding of the hows and whys of the Universes's behavior.

You don't want to miss reading this book!

I'm not sure, I'm not really into the whole String Landscape/Anthropic Principle idea.

Kevin_Axion said:
I'm not sure, I'm not really into the whole String Landscape/Anthropic Principle idea.
Nonetheless, M-Theory seems like it will dominate (my opinion) the scientific literature over the next several decades. String Theory originated oh i don't know somewhere around the 50's, but no one paid too much attention to it and it sort of faded away until the more encompassing M-Theory came into fashion a decade or 2 ago. And the Anthropic Principles have moved to the forefront again. If You like Feynman's works, you'll like this book, since much of it is based on his insights.

PhanthomJay said:
Nonetheless, M-Theory seems like it will dominate (my opinion) the scientific literature over the next several decades. String Theory originated oh i don't know somewhere around the 50's, but no one paid too much attention to it and it sort of faded away until the more encompassing M-Theory came into fashion a decade or 2 ago. And the Anthropic Principles have moved to the forefront again. If You like Feynman's works, you'll like this book, since much of it is based on his insights.
Hawking concluded that M-theory is the ONLY theory that may lead to the Theory of Everything...if such a Theory may ever be found. I still have several questions that I'll be asking on the Cosmology Forum.

You should pick up Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. This book will offer a great amount of layman's insight in String/M-Theory research up until 2004 or 2005 of course.

I didn't think the Grand Design was all that impressive. Maybe I've read too many of the popular books and watched all the documentaries.. but this book is just more of the same. I mean, it's just.. too popular.

I would love to have something between wiki articles and popular books so I could know about the slightly more technical aspects of things like M-theory and the whole shabang.

i'm sorry because asking this : could our space have more than 11 -D which has been predict by string theory ? there are some kinds of bosonic string require 26-D

PhanthomJay said:
I'm not talking about the mathematical solution, but rather, what are the properties of the Universe that limit this number to 11? Or is it as significant or insignificant as the properties of the Universe that limits lightspeed or the dimensionless constants to certain numbers?

Basically, D=10 for superstrings and D=26 (not 21) for bosonic strings, can be said to come from c and h, as they are implied by quantisation and Lorentz invariance.

D=<11 in supergravity can be said to be implied by quantisation as maximum dimension to avoid spin greatear than two, as said before. But you need to put supersymmetry in the recipe.

If you put susy but not strings (nor many-particle field theory?), then the valid dimensions are D=3,4,6,10. This is really more mathematical than physical input, except perhaps if you look at it as an study of the properties of spinors (which is a lot of maths in any case). When you look at the way to get these solutions and you go to extended bodies, then the 2-brane is related to dimension 11 again.

dimensional said:
You should pick up Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. This book will offer a great amount of layman's insight in String/M-Theory research up until 2004 or 2005 of course.

I really loved that book too. It was a little dissapointed later to discover a slightly :smile: less optimistic opinion of M-theory in the greater community of physicists. Then again when you read about 50++ years of history in a month, real-life time seems soo much slower...

Why do we say 10 space dimensions instead of 3 space dimensions and 7 other degrees of freedom?

What is 11 Dimensional M - Theory?

11 Dimensional M - Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify all five string theories, which are currently the leading theories to explain the fundamental nature of the universe. It proposes that the universe has 11 dimensions, with 10 of them being spatial dimensions and one being time.

How does 11 Dimensional M - Theory differ from other theories?

Unlike other theories, 11 Dimensional M - Theory does not have a fixed number of dimensions. It suggests that the universe has 11 dimensions, but these dimensions can change and evolve over time. It also incorporates the concept of branes, which are multidimensional objects that can interact with each other and influence the behavior of particles.

What evidence supports 11 Dimensional M - Theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for 11 Dimensional M - Theory. However, it is supported by mathematical equations and calculations, as well as its ability to unify different string theories. Additionally, some aspects of the theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions, are consistent with other areas of physics, such as supergravity and black hole thermodynamics.

What implications does 11 Dimensional M - Theory have for our understanding of the universe?

If 11 Dimensional M - Theory is proven to be true, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe. It would provide a unified framework for understanding all physical phenomena, from the smallest particles to the largest structures in the universe. It would also have implications for concepts such as time, gravity, and the multiverse.

Can 11 Dimensional M - Theory be tested?

Currently, there is no way to directly test 11 Dimensional M - Theory. However, scientists are working on developing experiments and observations that could potentially provide evidence for the theory, such as studying the cosmic microwave background radiation and high-energy particle collisions. Additionally, continued research and advancements in technology may one day make it possible to test the predictions of this theory.