11000=12184/9n co-efficient of friction?

• Thread starter EIRE2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of coefficient of friction and its relationship to the normal force and friction force. The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless number that measures the difficulty of sliding or moving one surface over another. It is calculated by dividing the friction force by the normal force and can be affected by factors such as surface type, roughness, force applied, and lubrication. There are two types of coefficients of friction - static and kinetic, and it can also be classified as either low or high.
EIRE2003
I am just about to find the co-efficient of friction from my experimental results, and from the equation I can't get past this bit. how do I calculate the co-efficient of friction from or which way do I re-arrange the equation so I can find n, the co-efficient of friction?

11000=12184/9n

Silly question innit! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] 11000=\frac{12184}{9n} [/tex]

Multiply both sides by n

[tex] 11000n=\frac{12184}{9} [/tex]

Divide both sides by 11000

[tex] n=\frac{12184}{(9)(11000)} [/tex]

thanking you so much :biggrin:

1. What does 11000=12184/9n in the equation represent?

11000 represents the normal force, which is the force exerted by the surface on an object in contact with it. 12184 represents the friction force, and 9n represents the coefficient of friction.

2. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless number that represents the relationship between the force required to move one surface horizontally over another and the pressure between the two surfaces. It is a measure of how difficult it is to slide or move one surface over another.

3. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the friction force by the normal force. In the equation 11000=12184/9n, the coefficient of friction is represented by 9n.

4. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by factors such as the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants. It can also vary with temperature and pressure.

5. What are the different types of coefficients of friction?

There are two types of coefficients of friction: static and kinetic. Static friction is the force that needs to be overcome to start an object in motion, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already in motion. The coefficient of friction can also be classified as either low (slippery) or high (rough).