Spot the Odd Ball: Weighing Challenge in 3 Chances

In summary, the puzzle is to find a lighter or heavier ball out of 12 balls using a weighing machine with no standard weighs. The solution involves dividing the balls into sets and weighing them against each other in a specific way to narrow down the possibilities and ultimately determine the foreign ball. The answer includes various scenarios and steps to determine the foreign ball's weight.
Xalos
You have 12 balls, and a weighing machine with no standard weighs. One of those 12 balls is either lighter or heavier than the others. Spot the ball in 3 chances with the weighing machine.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hint:
2x6, 2x3, 2x1+1
or 2x4+4, 2x2, 2x1

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that you must also be able to say whether the ball is heavy or light.

This "puzzle" has been posted a zillion times here...

Maybe not a zillion times, but more than 5 times.

Xalos said:
You have 12 balls

I've had that dream before. Kind of a nightmare, actually. It was impossible to walk or sit down.

and a weighing machine with no standard weighs. One of those 12 balls is either lighter or heavier than the others. Spot the ball in 3 chances with the weighing machine.

Oh! Okay.

6 vs. 5 + 1 lighter. Get the lighter set.

3 vs 2 + 1 lighter. Get the lighter set.

Weigh any 2 of them. If they are equal, the 3rd one is lighter.

Poop-Loops said:
I've had that dream before. Kind of a nightmare, actually. It was impossible to walk or sit down.
Thank you. I actually have spittle on my screen.

Poop-Loops said:
6 vs. 5 + 1 lighter. Get the lighter set.

It is not ok: the defective ball could be in the heavier set .

Oh craps. I didn't notice that it could be lighter or heavier.

The puzzle is new to me, so here's my answer:

Weigh 4 against 4.

If they even out, select three and weigh against 3 from the remainder. If they cancel out still, and since there's 1 ball left, one more weighing will give away the answer. If not, then the foreign ball is within those 3 balls selected from the remainder. At this step, it should be clear whether the foreign ball is lighter or heavier than the others. Now say the said balls are A B C, and other random balls now known to be normal are X X X. Weigh A X against B X. If they even out, then obviously it's C, if not, then either A or B.

Now if 4 against 4 doesn't cancel out, substitute one side with the remainder. Depending on what the scale reads, determine whether the foreign ball is lighter or heavier. In any case, you'll end with a 2 against 2 weighing, which will easily give away the foreign ball by swapping two balls from each side, and substituting for 1 ball from the remainder on one side.

Last edited:
Kittel Knight said:
This "puzzle" has been posted a zillion times here...
I've told you a million times: don't hyperbolize!

Werg22 said:
The puzzle is new to me, so here's my answer:

<snip>

Now if 4 against 4 doesn't cancel out, substitute one side with the remainder. Depending on what the scale reads, determine whether the foreign ball is lighter or heavier. In any case, you'll end with a 2 against 2 weighing, which will easily give away the foreign ball by swapping two balls from each side, and substituting for 1 ball from the remainder on one side.

I am pretty positive the bolded part would not work.

You're right, what I wrote is senseless. Impossible to determine a foreign ball out of 4 balls with only one weighing. I'll try rectifying the solution, tomorow

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
I've told you a million times: don't hyperbolize!

You are right, Dave!
Even my mother has already told me this a billion times...

Ok here's the correction:

4 against 4 doesn't even out

Say we have on the heavier side A B C D and on the lighter side S T U V, and X represent a ball from the remainder. Now weigh S X X X against A T U V. If they even, out, the foreign ball is among B C D, and is heavier. If S X X X > A T U V, then the foreign ball is among T U V and is lighter. If S X X X < A T U V, weigh A against X. If A = X, then S is the foreign ball, and is lighter. If A > X, then A is the foreign ball and is heavier.

Solved :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of the "Spot the Odd Ball" weighing challenge?

The purpose of this challenge is to test your problem-solving skills and ability to think critically. It involves using a weighing scale to identify the odd ball among a set of identical-looking balls in only 3 chances.

2. How does the "Spot the Odd Ball" challenge work?

The challenge starts with a set of identical-looking balls, with one being slightly lighter or heavier than the rest. Using a weighing scale, you must determine which ball is the odd one out in only 3 chances. Each time you weigh a set of balls, the scale will either tip to the left, right, or remain balanced, giving you a clue to the location of the odd ball.

3. What is the strategy for solving the "Spot the Odd Ball" challenge?

The key to solving this challenge is to divide the balls into smaller groups and weigh them against each other. This will help narrow down the possible locations of the odd ball. Additionally, keeping track of the previous weighings can also aid in finding the odd ball in the remaining chances.

4. Is there a specific number of balls that must be used in the "Spot the Odd Ball" challenge?

No, there is no specific number of balls required for this challenge. However, the more balls there are, the more challenging it will be to find the odd one out in only 3 chances.

5. Can the "Spot the Odd Ball" challenge be solved using only 2 chances?

No, the challenge specifically states that it must be solved in only 3 chances. This adds to the difficulty and requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to successfully identify the odd ball.