1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

120-240VAC Timer Relay Unit

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1
    Hi Guys,

I'm tired of waiting for my tenants to finish their midnight laundry loads. I have a hydraulic sliding door assembly ready but I am having trouble getting parts to create the digital system to tie it all together.

I want:

120-240VAC Power Relays (for the washing/dryer machines total of 8)
    I need to either find a logic Powered Relay or do a double relay (5v Logic relay from circuit to relay a 120V relay).

Example: it is 22:00 (10PM), I want all the dryers NO POWER, and the Hydraulics to close the door

Help:

Has anyone done this before and have tips on how I can better design my solution? I really just need help coupling a digital logic timer to a 120/240VAC relay. If there's a device to buy Ill just buy it but otherwise how can I do this?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2013 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You want hydraulics to close the door on the laundry room with no supervision? You won't get any help here with that. Safety issue.

4. Jul 9, 2013 #3
    admin pls close this thread. apparently this forum is devoid of any fruitful collaboration or insight.

Averagesupernova, I would like to address your concern of safety with my assurance that 1) my system is supervised through CCTV with a close confirmation interface after the shut off of power to the machines and 2) that design was not seriously going to be implemented due to extraneous function 3) my question was pertaining to the usage of power relays with a digital logic timer.

Furthermore I would like to thank you for being an example retardent for the advancement of technology and engineering. In short, if you would like to critique or derp someones posts or idea, instead pls kindly offer suggestions or confirm any safety issues you would like to see addressed.

P.S. you should work for OSHA so you can find all the dangerous things and not help find ways to mitigate or eliminate.

5. Jul 9, 2013 #4

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seriously, search through this forum and you will see that we don't take safety concerns lightly.
    -
    Take a look at your first post and tell me with a clear conscience that with the information that was given there would be no safety issue. Are we supposed to read your mind about closed circuit TV? So what if there are close confirmation sensors? If someone gets in the door how long does it take someone to notice it, and be able to deactivate it?
    -
    A smarter approach would be a door that is set up as follows: After hours a person can always exit but never enter. The door would be set up with a spring type automatic closer. Use a close confirmation sensor to indicate if someone has put something in the door to prevent it from fully closing and latching.
    -
    One last thing, if you were not going to implement it why bother asking?

6. Jul 10, 2013 #5
    thanks now thats a good reply, I asked the EE department they gave me what I needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook