Converting 120VAC to 60VDC: Tips and Tricks for Your LED Light

• Thread starter jerromyjon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a 6 element LED light that has a maximum of 60vdc at 45W. The speaker currently uses it with an 18vdc battery and is curious about what would happen if it was plugged into a 120vac outlet. They are also wondering if there is an easy way to adapt 120vac to 60vdc. However, it is mentioned that using AC Mains power without isolation is dangerous and the thread is closed.
jerromyjon
I have this 6 element LED light I found on the road which when I took it apart to connect a vacuum cleaner cord I googled the number printed on the aluminum (assuming) circuit board for which I found specs saying 60vdc max at 45W. I currently use it as a portable drop light connected to 18vdc battery shown using a rigged-up 120vdc receptacle because it was easy... what I am curious about is what would happen if I plugged it into a 120vac outlet. Would it being diodes cause it to work as 60vdc or is there an easy way to adapt 120 vac to 60 vdc? I'd hate to burn it out by plugging it in and see what happens. :cry: Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas! :smile:
WP_20170828_20_41_29_Pro.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's easy to get 53V dc, if 120V is the RMS (not amplitude) of your AC:

tWioH.png

L1 must be "big enough";
if you directly, or via some serial resistor, feed LEDs, then it's probably better without C1 and R1.

Last edited:
Sorry, what you are discussing is dangerous. It's very bad practice to use AC Mains power without isolation. Thread is closed.

Likes jim hardy, anorlunda and BvU

1. How do I convert 120VAC to 60VDC?

To convert 120VAC to 60VDC, you will need a power supply or converter that is specifically designed for this purpose. This device will typically have an input for 120VAC and an output for 60VDC.

2. Can I use a regular power supply for my LED light?

No, a regular power supply is not suitable for LED lights as they require a specific voltage and current to function properly. Using a regular power supply can damage your LED lights and may even pose a safety hazard.

3. What are some tips for converting 120VAC to 60VDC?

Some tips for converting 120VAC to 60VDC include using a high-quality power supply that is designed for LED lights, ensuring that the power supply can handle the required wattage, and properly grounding the circuit to prevent electrical hazards.

4. Can I use a step-down transformer for this conversion?

Yes, a step-down transformer can be used to convert 120VAC to 60VDC. However, it is important to make sure that the transformer is designed for this purpose and can handle the required wattage for your LED lights.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when converting 120VAC to 60VDC?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions when working with electricity. This includes using appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring that the power supply and wiring are properly installed and grounded, and avoiding working on the circuit while it is powered on.