Create DIY 12v Electric Bicycle Motor

In summary, Cwatters recommends experimenting with a used motor, or finding a conversion kit. He advises caution when looking for a motor as it is not designed for extended use, and speed control will depend on the type of motor being used.
Johnny Martin
I am making my own 12v electric bicycle but have read that a starter motor is not acceptable because it is not designed for extended use. What motor could I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your objectives? If you just want to experiment I'd try a used starter motor. If you want a reliable long term solution for commuting to school/work I would seek out others that have already done a few or buy a conversion kit.

Hi Cwatters,
Just experimenting at the moment and at the least possible cost. I realize that there are kits out there but budget is the key word! I don't mind paying for a new motor but I have seen bikes on you tube running with starter motors but how long would they last?

No idea but I can see a problem with any permanant magnet or shunt wound motor.. the motor is effectively stalled until the bike is moving. It might be that a series wound motor is better but no idea where to get one cheap.

You also need to think about speed control and that will depend on the type of motor. In this application I expect the speed controller might also need to take a lot of abuse.

Johnny Martin said:
I am making my own 12v electric bicycle but have read that a starter motor is not acceptable because it is not designed for extended use. What motor could I use?

A starter motor would not be very suitable. If you have one then give it a go but it is not designed to run for more than a couple of hours in all its lifetime - it has COPPER brushes, for a start. It will take a lot of current, too, and drain your battery v. quickly. There are other automotive motors that would do the job - a windscreen wiper motor, for instance. But, as stated earlier, there will be a problem with any cheap motor and you would need to look into a suitable controller, which is possible to make but would need to be robust and sophisticated, I think.

Why not contact the you tube contributors for ideas? They have 'been there' before and solved some of the problems..

1. What materials do I need to create a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor?

To create a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor, you will need a 12v DC motor, battery pack, controller, throttle, and some basic tools such as pliers, screwdrivers, and wire cutters. You may also need additional materials depending on the specific design and components you choose.

2. Is it difficult to build a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor?

The difficulty level of building a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor will depend on your technical skills and experience. It may require some basic knowledge of electronics and mechanical systems. However, with the right instructions and materials, most people can successfully build one.

3. How much does it cost to create a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor?

The cost of building a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor will vary depending on the quality and type of components you choose. On average, it can cost anywhere from $100 to $300. However, you can also save money by using recycled or salvaged parts.

4. How long does it take to assemble a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor?

The time it takes to assemble a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor will depend on your skill level, the complexity of the design, and the availability of materials. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete the assembly.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a DIY 12v electric bicycle motor. Make sure you have the necessary protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses. Also, be careful when handling and connecting electrical components to avoid electrocution. It is also recommended to test the motor in an open and safe area before using it on your bicycle.