1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

12v bicycle motor

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    I am making my own 12v electric bicycle but have read that a starter motor is not acceptable because it is not designed for extended use. What motor could I use?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are your objectives? If you just want to experiment I'd try a used starter motor. If you want a reliable long term solution for commuting to school/work I would seek out others that have already done a few or buy a conversion kit.

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    Hi Cwatters,
    Just experimenting at the moment and at the least possible cost. I realise that there are kits out there but budget is the key word! I don't mind paying for a new motor but I have seen bikes on you tube running with starter motors but how long would they last?

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No idea but I can see a problem with any permanant magnet or shunt wound motor.. the motor is effectively stalled until the bike is moving. It might be that a series wound motor is better but no idea where to get one cheap.

You also need to think about speed control and that will depend on the type of motor. In this application I expect the speed controller might also need to take a lot of abuse.

6. Oct 2, 2012 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. Oct 2, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A starter motor would not be very suitable. If you have one then give it a go but it is not designed to run for more than a couple of hours in all its lifetime - it has COPPER brushes, for a start. It will take a lot of current, too, and drain your battery v. quickly. There are other automotive motors that would do the job - a windscreen wiper motor, for instance. But, as stated earlier, there will be a problem with any cheap motor and you would need to look into a suitable controller, which is possible to make but would need to be robust and sophisticated, I think.

Why not contact the you tube contributors for ideas? They have 'been there' before and solved some of the problems..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook