Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

12V motor output question

1. Aug 26, 2015 #1
    What output does a 12v motor give. I need to power a heating element that requires 12v, can I do this with a 12v motor? If not what size motor do I need?

Thank you in advance for any help

Sarah

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2015 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you mean generator, not motor. But that aside, if you are using a 12v battery or your car's alternator, then a resistive heating element is a very high load.

A large (group 31) deep discharge battery, could supply 500 watts to a heater for probably only 20 minutes. A 50 amp alternator in a car could also do it. Most heaters are 750 to 1500 watts, and most are not designed for 12v operation.

Do you have more details on the heater?

4. Aug 27, 2015 #3
    The heating element only needs 12v to heat up to 400c. I don't want to give away too much information :-) but I need to power this element by something cost effective and very small. i.e. the motor. Could I not power that using a motor or is that not how it works? sorry to be so vague completely useless at this but have a really good idea that I would like to work on.

Thanks

Sarah

5. Aug 27, 2015 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How many watts do you need, for how many minutes? I can't tell if you are trying to heat a tiny soldering tip or a whole house in mid winter.

6. Aug 27, 2015 #5

donpacino

Gold Member

It sounds like your goal is to pursue a patent. If that is the case you are taking a big risk coming to a public forum.

We can only really help you if you share more details.

7. Aug 27, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you must at least tell us the wattage of the element, else there is nothing anyone can do to help

you have already been told ... you need a generator, NOT a motor

so what will power the generator ?

again ... if you cant help us, then we cant help you ... its as simple as that

Dave

8. Aug 29, 2015 #7

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Sheesh --- answer the question already. Why tell her she is asking the wrong question.

Let's assume she has a motor, and sometimes want to use it as a generator. So she can warm up while going down hill on her motorized bike ... or whatever

So, where's a good link to answer this?

maybe http://www.scienceshareware.com/bicycle-generator-faq.htm#pm-size

Without power numbers, you are on your own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook