Optimizing Motor Start Frequency for 13000 Volt Switch Gear

In summary, the 13000 volt motor was started 6 times in 5 hours, and on the last start the switchgear bus caught on fire. The motor manufacturer said that overheating of the rotor windings & rotor structure is the primary concern in that case. The switchgear bus was not rated adequately to serve the amount and type of all connected loads, the breaker in the switchgear was not rated sufficiently to serve the motor, the protection in the switchgear was not set properly, and the switchgear bus was not inspected/cleaned and tested in a while.
kraxup
I am hoping that someone on here can give me some insight on what caused this. I have my idea; however, I would like someone to give their opinion also.

At work we have a 13000 volt motor that powers our compressor. How frequent can that size motor be started without causing the motor to overheat or the switch gear to catch fire?
We started this compressor 6 times in approx 5 hours and on the last start the switch gear buss caught fire.
I know a 4160 volt motor can only be tried 2 times within 30 minutes then it must rest for 4 hours before another attempt.

Engineering news on Phys.org
kraxup said:
I am hoping that someone on here can give me some insight on what caused this. I have my idea; however, I would like someone to give their opinion also.

At work we have a 13000 volt motor that powers our compressor. How frequent can that size motor be started without causing the motor to overheat or the switch gear to catch fire?
We started this compressor 6 times in approx 5 hours and on the last start the switch gear buss caught fire.
I know a 4160 volt motor can only be tried 2 times within 30 minutes then it must rest for 4 hours before another attempt.

When you talked to the motor manufacturer, what did they say? Why are you asking us?

Your concern about the number of starts per hour for large motors is correct.
Overheating of the rotor windings & rotor structure is the primary concern in that case.
To say that starting the motor several times in a few hours caused the switchgear to catch fire is a
stretch however. A detailed investigation would be in order here to determine that exact cause of the fire.
Just a few of the things to be considered here are:
Is the switchgear bus rated adequately to serve the amount and type of all connected loads?
Is the breaker in the switchgear rated sufficiently to serve the motor?
When was the last time the breaker feeding the motor cleaned, and tested for proper timing and operation?
What type of protection is present in the switchgear, is it set properly and is it functioning ?
When was the last time the switchgear bus inspected/cleaned and tested?

There are many more things that should be investigated. I hope that nobody was injured or killed as a result of this incident.

Thank your for your reply. After fixing the switch gear and attempting to start the motor, on the 3rd attempt the motor burned up.

1. What is a 13000 volt switch gear fire?

A 13000 volt switch gear fire is a fire that occurs in the electrical equipment used to control and distribute high voltage electricity. It is typically caused by a malfunction or overload in the switch gear, and can result in a dangerous and potentially deadly situation.

2. How common are 13000 volt switch gear fires?

13000 volt switch gear fires are relatively rare, but they do occur in industrial and commercial settings. They are more likely to happen in older switch gears that have not been properly maintained or upgraded.

3. What are the potential dangers of a 13000 volt switch gear fire?

The main danger of a 13000 volt switch gear fire is the risk of electrocution or electric shock. These fires can also cause significant damage to equipment and may lead to power outages and disruptions in services.

4. How can a 13000 volt switch gear fire be prevented?

There are several steps that can be taken to prevent 13000 volt switch gear fires, including regular maintenance and inspection of the switch gear, using proper safety protocols when working with high voltage equipment, and keeping the area around the switch gear clear of debris or flammable materials.

5. What should I do if a 13000 volt switch gear fire occurs?

If a 13000 volt switch gear fire occurs, it is important to immediately evacuate the area and call for emergency services. Do not attempt to put out the fire yourself, as it can be extremely dangerous. It is also important to follow any safety procedures and protocols that have been established for such situations.