Small 18-22" Computer Monitors - 1920x1080 Native

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability and resolution of computer monitors. The participants mention the difficulty of finding a small monitor with a 1920x1080 native resolution and the potential strain on the eyes when reading small text. They also mention that as resolution increases, the apparent size of content decreases. The conversation ends with a question about why manufacturers don't make more 16:9 monitors and a clarification that they do exist, but are less common.
Dragonfall
Does anyone know where I can get a small (18-22 in) computer monitor with 1920x1080 native? Most are 1680x1050.

Computer science news on Phys.org
A quick web scan shows 24" as the smallest 1920x1080 native.
Not sure why you would want one becase, even with very good vision, that's going to be a tough read.
Your eyes will have an issue resolving detail at that level without your nose hitting the screen.

My screen is already 1680x1050 at 22 inches. If I can see that, I should be able to resolve 1920x1080 at the same screen size, no?

Dragonfall said:
My screen is already 1680x1050 at 22 inches. If I can see that, I should be able to resolve 1920x1080 at the same screen size, no?

No, as the resolution increases, for a given monitor size, the apparent size of a given font, icon, or photograph will decrease.

Why don't manufacturers make 16:9 monitors?

They do.
If you go to a store there are still 4:3 monitors available, but relatively few.

1. What is the difference between a small 18-22 inch computer monitor and a regular-sized monitor?

The main difference is the size of the screen. A small 18-22 inch computer monitor has a smaller display area compared to a regular-sized monitor, which is typically around 24-27 inches. This means that the small monitor may have a lower resolution and be less suitable for tasks that require a larger viewing area, such as gaming or video editing.

2. What is the native resolution of a small 18-22 inch computer monitor?

The native resolution of a monitor refers to the number of pixels on the screen. In the case of a small 18-22 inch computer monitor, the native resolution is typically 1920x1080 pixels. This means that the screen has a total of 1920 pixels horizontally and 1080 pixels vertically, resulting in a clear and sharp display.

3. Can I connect a small 18-22 inch computer monitor to my laptop?

Yes, most laptops have a VGA or HDMI port which can be used to connect to a small 18-22 inch computer monitor. This allows you to use the monitor as a secondary display for your laptop, which can be useful for multitasking or giving presentations.

4. Is a small 18-22 inch computer monitor suitable for gaming?

It depends on the type of games you play. A small 18-22 inch computer monitor may not have the best resolution or screen size for intense gaming, but it can still be suitable for casual or older games. If you are a serious gamer, you may want to consider investing in a larger monitor with a higher resolution.

5. Are small 18-22 inch computer monitors energy-efficient?

Generally, smaller monitors tend to use less energy compared to larger ones. However, the energy efficiency of a monitor also depends on its specific model and settings. It's always a good idea to check the energy rating of a monitor before purchasing to ensure it is energy-efficient.