16-bit addition/subtraction with an 8-bit adder

• Thread starter cyenko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adder
In summary, to design a sequential circuit with only one 8-bit ripple carry adder for 16-bit addition and subtraction, you can use a 4-bit adder instead of an 8-bit adder, use MUXs to select input bits, and generate the overflow signal using the carry-out and carry-in signals. Alternatively, you can use a 16-bit adder/subtractor circuit.
cyenko

Homework Statement

Suppose we have only one 8-bit ripple carry adder but need to do 16-bit addition and subtraction.
Design a sequential circuit (FSM) with only one 8-bit ripple carry adder to implement a 16-bit adder-subtractor.
You are allowed to use MUXs and need to generate the overflow signal.

Homework Equations

Code:
Overflow = C[SUB]n[/SUB] - C[SUB]n-1[/SUB]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to find similar circuit schematics, boolean expressions, diagrams, etc. online to no avail. I am familiar with the implementation with an 8-bit ripple carry adder, and can obtain the final overflow signal through

Code:
O=C[SUB]7[/SUB] XOR C[SUB]6[/SUB]

Since I am prohibited from using two 8-bit adders, I was thinking of encoding the given 16 bit numbers using a 16-4 encoder, and then doing the operations, but this would not be valid when multiple bits of the given 16-bit numbers are set high.

I'm looking for guidance on where to begin. I think once I have the general idea on how 16 bits can be stuck in the 8 bit adder, I'll be able to do this problem. Specifically, where should I route the overflow to, and what combination of bits from the two original numbers should I put into the adder?

Thanks for your time,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your post. This is a challenging problem, but I believe there are a few different approaches you can take to solve it. Here are some suggestions that may help you get started:

1. Consider using a 4-bit adder instead of an 8-bit adder. Since you are only allowed to use one 8-bit adder, using a 4-bit adder would give you more flexibility in terms of routing the input bits and generating the overflow signal.

2. Use the MUXs to select which bits from the two 16-bit numbers will be fed into the adder. You can use the selector inputs of the MUXs to control this, and you may need to use multiple MUXs to select all the necessary bits.

3. To generate the overflow signal, you can use the carry-out (Cn) and carry-in (Cn-1) signals from the adder. These signals can be XORed to obtain the overflow signal, as you mentioned in your attempt.

4. Another approach would be to use a 16-bit adder/subtractor circuit instead of a single 8-bit adder. This would require more components, but it may be easier to implement.

I hope these suggestions are helpful. Good luck with your design! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How does 16-bit addition/subtraction with an 8-bit adder work?

The 16-bit addition/subtraction with an 8-bit adder is a process where two 16-bit binary numbers are added or subtracted using an 8-bit adder, which is a digital circuit that performs the arithmetic operation. The adder takes in two input signals, performs the addition or subtraction, and produces a 16-bit output signal.

2. What is the significance of using an 8-bit adder for 16-bit operations?

The use of an 8-bit adder for 16-bit operations is significant because it allows for a more efficient and cost-effective solution. Instead of using a larger and more complex adder, the 8-bit adder can be used twice to perform the operation, reducing the overall complexity and cost of the circuit.

3. Can an 8-bit adder perform both addition and subtraction?

Yes, an 8-bit adder can perform both addition and subtraction. This is because subtraction can be achieved by taking the two's complement of the second number and adding it to the first number. The two's complement is a mathematical operation that converts a binary number into its negative equivalent, allowing for subtraction to be performed using addition.

4. What are the limitations of using an 8-bit adder for 16-bit operations?

One of the main limitations of using an 8-bit adder for 16-bit operations is the limited range of numbers that can be represented. An 8-bit adder can only represent numbers from 0 to 255, which means that larger numbers cannot be accurately represented. Additionally, using the two's complement method for subtraction may result in errors for certain combinations of numbers.

5. Are there any other methods for performing 16-bit addition/subtraction?

Yes, there are other methods for performing 16-bit addition/subtraction, such as using a larger adder or using a combination of smaller adders. Another method is using a carry-lookahead adder, which is a type of adder that reduces the delay in calculating the carry output, resulting in faster operation. However, these methods may be more complex and expensive compared to using an 8-bit adder.