Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 1982 Physics Problem B

1. Jun 2, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] 1982 Physics Problem B

A crane is used to hoist a load of mass m1=500 kilograms. The Load is suspended by a cable from a hook of mass m2=50 kilograms, as shown in the diagram above. The load is lifted upward at a constant acceleration of 2 m/s^2.

b)Determine the Tension T1 in the lower cable and the tension T2 in the upper cable as the hook and load are accelerated upward at 2 m/s^2. Use g=10 m/s^2.

FYI: this is the 1982 Question B from an AP Test. So if you can find a link that has an explanation, that would be great. Or, you can solve it that would also be wonderful!! thank you soo much

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

It'd be nice to see the diagram as,it may show some information not stated and also,you can take a stab at it and we can try to help you out with it.

4. Jun 2, 2008 #3
    i don't have a scanner, so i'm sorry but i don't know how i can show you the diagram. i tried to do this problem, i really need help

5. Jun 2, 2008 #4
    erm i sent a pic to you
    let me know if you can help

6. Jun 2, 2008 #5
    hey rock freak
    i figured the second part
    it's the first part i'm having trouble with

7. Jun 2, 2008 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What answers did you get for the 2nd part?

EDIT: well to do the 2nd part,you'd need to know how the forces are acting. Unless you just guessed. Did you?

physics4-1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  8. Jun 2, 2008 #7
    for the second part i used

T1= M1 (g+a)

T2= (M1+M2)(g+a)

9. Jun 2, 2008 #8
    it's the first part that i'm not sure about
    i get that the force of gravity points down
    but what other forces are on it?

10. Jun 2, 2008 #9
    Tension forces.

11. Jun 2, 2008 #10

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The only forces to consider are weight and tension. Weight acts downwards so tension must act upwards.

12. Jun 2, 2008 #11
    thanks guys!
    much appreciated

maybe you all can help me with the resistor problem?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook