1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D & 2D Kinematics, Optics Questions

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. A ball is dropped of the top of a building whose height is d. The ball falls the last 2/3 of its distance in 3 seconds. What is the total time of its fall? What is the total distance of its fall?

I used this equation to start this problem.

I put in -10 for acceleration and arrived at -3.3T²=-5(T-3)² from there, I got 1.7T² - 30T + 45=0 after distributing everything and moving it to one side. After that, I solved for T using the quadratic formula and got T = 16 sec. To find the total distance of the fall I used y=1/2gT² using -10 for g and 16 for T to get 1280 m.

2. What is the magnification of a pencil that is 10 cm from a convex mirror whose focal length is 8 cm?

For this problem, I started with m=d(image)/d(object). I knew the d(object) was 10 cm so I used 1/f = 1/d(object) + 1/d(image) using -8 for the f (because the focus is negative in a convex mirror) and 10 for the d(object). Doing this, I found that the d(image) was -4.4 and dividing that by 10 cm to find the magnification, I got -.4 for my answer.

3. http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physgrut3.png
    Find the total distance, total displacement, and average velocity based on the graph.

For this problem, I found the area of the triangle based on 1/2bh and the area of the rectangle using bh. I found the area of the triangle to be 50 and the area of the rectangle to be 15. To find the distance, I added these two figures to get 75. To find the displacment, I subtracted these two figures to get 35. To find the displacement, I did v=d/t using 35 for the d and 15 seconds for the t. I got 2.3 as my answer.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted