1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D Ising Correlation

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute correlation functions ##<\sigma_r \sigma_{r+l}>## for the 1D Ising model of length L with the follow BD conditions

(i) Periodic
    (ii) Anti-Periodic
    (iii) ##\sigma_1 = \sigma_{L+1}=1##
    (iv) ##\sigma_1= -\sigma_{L+1}=1##

2. Relevant equations

##<\sigma_r \sigma_{r+l}> = \displaystyle\frac{1}{Z}\sum_{\sigma_l=\pm 1}^{L-1}e^{K(\sum_{k=1}^{L-1}\sigma_k \sigma_{k+1} +\sigma_1 \sigma_{L+1})} \sigma_r \sigma_{r+l}##

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to compute the partition function for the periodic case as its fairly common and I have a solution to computing the correlation function to here although I don't understand how he goes from 1.11 to 1.12.But these solutions use the Trace of the transfer matrix which I am pretty sure is unique to the periodic BD conditions. Any help on how to compute these in general would be appreciated as I missed the lecture on it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2015 #2
    Did you understood the transfer matrix technique? the first n-1 spin sum just becomes the normal trace of the transfer matrix. But then you have [itex]\sigma_m[/itex], but the possible value of [itex]\sigma_m[/itex] are 1 and -1, with introduction of pauli matrix(+1 and -1 remember?), it just becomes a normal trace once again.

4. Apr 10, 2015 #3
    Can you explain why this explicit calculation of the 1D model with 3 sites and periodic BDs is incorrect

##Z=\displaystyle\sum_{\sigma_1=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_2=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_3=\pm1}e^{K(\sum_{k=1}^2\sigma_k \sigma_{k+1} + \sigma_3 \sigma_1)}##

##=\displaystyle\sum_{\sigma_1=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_2=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_3=\pm1}e^{K(\sigma_1 \sigma_2 + \sigma_2 \sigma_3 + \sigma_3 \sigma_1)}##

##=\displaystyle\sum_{\sigma_1=\pm1}\sum_{\sigma_2=\pm1}e^{K(\sigma_1 \sigma_2 + \sigma_2 + \sigma_1)}+e^{K(\sigma_1 \sigma_2 + -\sigma_2 + -\sigma_1)}##

##=\displaystyle\sum_{\sigma_1=\pm1}e^{K(\sigma_1 + 1 + \sigma_1)}+e^{K(\sigma_1 -1 + -\sigma_1)}+e^{K(-\sigma_1 -1 + \sigma_1)}+e^{K(-\sigma_1+ 1 + -\sigma_1)}##

##=e^{K(1 + 1 + 1)}+e^{K(1 -1 + -1)}+e^{K(-1 -1 + 1)}+e^{K(-1+ 1 + -1)}+e^{K(-1 + 1 + -1)}+e^{K(-1 -1 + 1)}+e^{K(1 -1 -1)}+e^{K(1+ 1 + 1)}##

##=e^{K(3)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(-1)}+e^{K(3)}##

##=2e^{3K}+6e^{-K}##

nvm It's correct, I guess I don't understand how the transfer matrix works, I thought it was dependant on periodic BDs to get the trace

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  5. Apr 10, 2015 #4
    Which boundary condition are you referring to?? If it's periodic then your calculation is right but if it's anti-periodic then your calculation is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted