1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D Kinematics question, need help!

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    A sprinter running a 100 meter race starts at rest, accelerates at constant acceleration
    with magnitude A for 2 seconds, and then runs at constant speed until the end.

a) Find the position (relative to the start position) and speed of the runner at the end of
    the 2 seconds in terms of A. ANS: 2A , Vx=2A

b) Assume that the runner takes a total of 10 seconds to run the 100 meters. Find the
    value of the acceleration A. You can leave your answer in terms of a fraction but clearly
    indicate the units. ANS: 100/18

.....struggling with b) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

You need to show us some work before we can help.

4. May 26, 2009 #3
    Relevant equations
    all kinematic eq'n with x, v, a in it

What I know so far:

I got that x(2)=2A and v(2)=2A

when it comes to b) i have tried various inputs...
    Which way do I approach this??? Do approach it from x=100 and t=10, do I incorporate x=2A and v=2A.

The closest I've gotten is using x=100-2A, t=8, v=2A...

5. May 26, 2009 #4
    Consider the 100m broken down into two parts
    - the part with constant acceleration from part a). You were asked to get the displacement of this in terms of A in part a). This will help you with that.
    - and consider the second part where velocity is constant. what formulae can you use?

6. May 26, 2009 #5
    according to your post, it can be broken down into two times

t=2 and t=8
    at t=2 , what I know is x=2A, v=2A, a=A

at t=10, what I know is x=100, v=10 (because v=d/t=100/10, is this relavant?)

there are two eq'ns that come to mind

x(t)= Xi + Vit + 0.5at^2

Vf^2= Vi^2+2a(Xf - Xi)

7. May 26, 2009 #6
    For the second part of the race, the eight seconds at constant velocity, just think displacement = velocity X time.
    Your v=d/t = 100/10 isn't correct because velocity wasn't constant for the entire 100m.
    For the first two seconds, acceleration was constant, and velocity was increasing (at a constant rate= acceleration). For the remaining eight seconds then, velocity is constant, so you can use v = d/t here.
    Your two eqns are correct and should then help you find a value for A.

You're eventually looking for the slope of the velocity/time graph (slope here = acc.) over the first two seconds. What do you need to find this?
    /

8. May 26, 2009 #7
    still struggling

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook