1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1d kinematics question

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The position of a particle moving along the x axis depends on the time according to the equation x = ct2 - bt3, where x is in meters and t in seconds.

For the following, let the numerical values of c and b be 3.5 and 1.0 respectively.

(b) At what time does the particle reach its maximum positive x position?

(f) What is its acceleration at at t = 1.0 s?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For (b) I tried plugging in numbers starting at 1 until the the result started to decrease. I am not sure if I must take the derivative first though.

For (f) I am assuming you take the second derivative of the equation. Is the derivative not 2-6bt ? Answer I got : -4

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2
    Well what does dx/dt represent? The rate of change.

now I can't tell, is it sposed to be x=c*t^2-b*t^3? I'm assuming or else it's a terribly uninteresting problem

So for b

dx/dt=2*c*t-3*b*t^2

you're looking for a maximum, so you set dx/dt=0 and solve for t. It's a quadratic equation so there are two solutions

How do you decide which one's right?

You had the right idea for f, but the second derivative is 2c-6bt=a

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

(Use the symbol ^ for power.)

x = ct^2 - bt^3.

b. At the extreme +ve posn the v would be 0, so, yes, you should find dx/dt.

f. 2c-6bt. Now find answer.

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4
    Thank you, I got (f) right. But for (b) I have another question. For the quadratic equation does c = 0? To decide which one is right, you pick the positive one because time cannot be negative. For my answer I am getting 0. This doesn't sound right.

6. Jan 23, 2008 #5
    it's possible if the initial velocity is negative and it only gets more negative, then the initial position should be the biggest it ever gets

7. Jan 24, 2008 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

For elementary problems like these, unless otherwise mentioned, the co-efficients will not be equal to zero. But it's shows your interest that you have asked, and blochwave has given you the answer. You should then also ask what if c=0, both=0.

Assuming non-zero b and c, have you solved it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?