Kirk's Mission: Solving for Acceleration Time

In summary, Captain Kirk is traveling 6000. km in less than 30.0 min to bring a Klingon ambassador to space outpost 13. He must travel 870. km in 3 minutes at a steady pace or else war will be declared between the Klingons and humans. After traveling exactly 27.0 min at a steady pace, he sees that there are still 870. km left to go. His ship must then accelerate at 20.000 m/s-2 for how many seconds in order to achieve the desired time?
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

Captain Kirk is on an important space mission to bring a Klingon ambassador to space outpost 13. He must travel 6000. km in less than 30.0 min, or else war will be declared between the Klingons and humans. After traveling exactly 27.0 min at a steady pace, he sees that there are still 870.0 km left to go.
His ship must then accelerate at 20.000 m/s-2 for how many seconds in order to achieve the desired time?

Homework Equations

s = u + at
s = vot + 1/2at2
v2 = u2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried separating the motion of the spacecraft in 3 different times. Time 1 is when the spacecraft is at constant speed until 27.0min, time 2 is when the spacecraft starts to accelerate at 20.000m/s-2 and time 3 is when the spacecraft travels at the new constant speed increased by the acceleration. So:

For time 1:

s = vot

Here i found the speed just by plugging in s = 5130000m and t = 1620s.

For time 2 and 3:

s = vot + 1/2at2 + vf(180-t)

180-t as the spacecraft has 3 minutes remaining (180s). I found the vf with the following equations:

vf = v0 + at

I've tried this problem numerous times and I keep getting that the result is 0.044s, but it is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not taking into account the distance traveled while accelerating.
Yes, he must go 870 km in 3 m (870000 m in 180 s). If he accelerates at 20 m/s^2 for T seconds. he will have gone a distance [itex]10T^2+ 3166.67 T[/itex] and will have achieved a speed of 20T m/s. He must have [tex]10T^2+ 3166.67T+ (20T)(180- T)= 870[/tex].

(Knowing Kirk, he will probably dawdle in order to prolong the war!)

@HallsofIvy: He did that into account (at least in the equation s=...). I think you are mixing meters and kilometers here.

@fogvajarash: Here is a quick way to see that 0.044s cannot be right:
With an acceleration of 20m/s^2, accelerating for 0.044s changes the speed just by roughly 1m/s, from 3167 to 3168m/s. To travel the remaining 870km in 3 minutes, the average speed (which is lower than the maximal speed) has to be of the order of 4800m/s. The acceleration time has to be much more than 0.044s.

Please show your work. Your approach looks right, so we have no way to tell what you did wrong if you don't show it.

By the way: m/s-2 does not make sense. ms-2 = m/s2 are correct units for an acceleration.

mfb said:
@HallsofIvy: He did that into account (at least in the equation s=...). I think you are mixing meters and kilometers here.

@fogvajarash: Here is a quick way to see that 0.044s cannot be right:
With an acceleration of 20m/s^2, accelerating for 0.044s changes the speed just by roughly 1m/s, from 3167 to 3168m/s. To travel the remaining 870km in 3 minutes, the average speed (which is lower than the maximal speed) has to be of the order of 4800m/s. The acceleration time has to be much more than 0.044s.

Please show your work. Your approach looks right, so we have no way to tell what you did wrong if you don't show it.

By the way: m/s-2 does not make sense. ms-2 = m/s2 are correct units for an acceleration.
Crap I meant 20000m/s2 instead of 20.0. Sorry for the mistake

That's still not enough, based on the same estimate.
Again, please show your work.

And that acceleration will crush every living object on the ship.

mfb said:
That's still not enough, based on the same estimate.
Again, please show your work.

And that acceleration will crush every living object on the ship.
I suppose the problem isn't that realistic haha.

Here's my procedure:

Attachments

• J[EÑLRWÑEFJÑL.png
    J[EÑLRWÑEFJÑL.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 440
mfb said:
There are 870km left, not 730km.
I get as a final result t = 0.0834s. Is this result accurate? (I've changed the 730000 by a 870000).

You can use this value and plug it in your initial equation for s= to check it. It looks reasonable, but I did not check it in detail (WolframAlpha can do that better anyway).

mfb said:
You can use this value and plug it in your initial equation for s= to check it. It looks reasonable, but I did not check it in detail (WolframAlpha can do that better anyway).
I keep getting an incorrect result for the exercise. Have i made a mistake with setting up the equations? It looks alright to me.

The equations look good.
Are you sure the acceleration is 20000m/s^2? That number looks really odd compared to the other numbers, 20m/s^2 would give more reasonable results.

What is "Kirk's Mission: Solving for Acceleration Time"?

"Kirk's Mission: Solving for Acceleration Time" is a scientific simulation game that challenges players to solve for the acceleration time of a spacecraft in order to successfully launch it into space.

How does the game work?

The game presents players with a scenario where they must launch a spacecraft into space. They are given the mass, force, and distance of the spacecraft and must use Newton's Second Law of Motion to calculate the acceleration time needed to reach a specific velocity. Players input their answer and receive immediate feedback on whether it is correct or not.

What scientific concepts are involved in the game?

The game primarily involves Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Players must also understand the relationship between distance, velocity, and time in order to solve for the acceleration time.

Who can play this game?

This game is suitable for anyone interested in science and physics, but it is recommended for players with a basic understanding of Newton's Second Law of Motion and algebraic equations.

Are there any real-world applications for this game?

Yes, understanding acceleration time is crucial in launching spacecrafts and other vehicles into space. This game can help players develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in various scientific and engineering fields.