1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D motion question, help please

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car making a 94-km journey travels 39 km/h for the first 47 km. How fast must it go during the second 47 km to average 51 km/h?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2
    don't want someone to solve it for me. Just point me in the right direction and help out a little bit.
  4. Jan 21, 2010 #3
    Why /2?
    I have found that to go 94 km at an average speed of 51 km/h that would be 14.17m/s.
    Thus if you went 47 km at 39 km/h you would be moving at 10.83 m/s.
    So with this data averaging 51 km/h the entire trip would take 1.52 hours. And the first 47 km (half) would have taken 1 hour. Am I correct so far? So to find the change in time we are looking for it would be 1.52-1.00 giving you .52 hours.

I have Average velocity defined as deltaX/deltaT

deltaX = 47km and delta T = .52 Hours

Thus giving me 90.4 km/h

does this sound right? seems a bit high but maybe im wrong, this is my first physics class ever. Thanks
  5. Jan 21, 2010 #4

Staff: Mentor

Don't think that's necessarily right. Average velocity is total distance / total time...
  6. Jan 21, 2010 #5

Staff: Mentor

I'm not tracking what you are doing. Find t1 = the time to the midway point. Calculate the total time t1+t2 from the total distance and total average velocity. That gives you t2, and you know the distance for the 2nd half of the trip...

(and no, the answer is not what Torquescrew suggested)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook