1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1d motion questions

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a rock is thrown nearly vertical upward from the edge of a tall building of height H. it just misses the edge of the building on the way down and strikes the ground T seconds after being thrown. given H, T

determine the initial velocity of the rock
    the max height it reaches above its starting point
    the time to reach its max height

2. Relevant equations

v= v_0 + at

x = x_0 + v_0*t + 1/2*a*t^2

v^2 = v_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)

3. The attempt at a solution

x_0 = H
    x = 0
    v_0 = ?
    v = ?
    a = g
    t = T

with these as inputs I don't see how I can manipulate algebra to get the things I want. this is a recurring theme with the rest of my homework it seems:

a flowerpot falls off a windowsill and falls past a window below. a person inside the building notices that it takes T seconds to go from the top to the bottom of the window. the window is h meters high. given h, T

determine how far above the window is the windowsill.

v= v_0 + at

x = x_0 + v_0*t + 1/2*a*t^2

v^2 = v_0^2 + 2a(x - x_0)

x_0 = 0
    x = q + h (figuring out q is the goal)
    v_0 = 0
    v = v
    a = g
    t = T

one again i feel like when i mess with the algebra i end up going in circles where I can't get everything solved within means of the terms given... hurts my head. i think im doing something fundamentally wrong, let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2
    1. x_0 = H
    x = 0
    v_0 = ?
    v = ?
    a = g
    t = T
    x=H
    x_0=0

2. x=u2/2a

h=ut+0.5at2

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    With [itex]v_0[/itex], the object can reach the maximum height [itex]h[/itex] (relative to the top of the building). That gives you an equation relating [itex]v_0[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex]. It takes [itex]T_u[/itex] to lose the initial speed [itex]v_0[/itex] going upward to the maximum height. That gives you an equation relating [itex]v_0[/itex] and [itex]T_u[/itex]. It takes [itex]T_d[/itex] to fall from [itex]H + h[/itex] to the ground. That gives you an equation relating [itex]H[/itex], [itex]T_d[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex]. And [itex]T_u + T_d = T[/itex]. So you have four equations and four unknowns [itex]v_0[/itex], [itex]h[/itex], [itex]T_u[/itex] and [itex]T_d[/itex], which you can solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook