Solving a 1000kg Weather Rocket Homework Problem

In summary: Yes, I am referring to this idea. In summary, a 1000 kg weather rocket is launched straight up and has an acceleration of -447.12 m/s/s during the first 16 sec. After 16 sec, the rocket's acceleration is gravity until it reaches a height of 5100 m, at which point it has a speed of 223.56 m/s.
barthayn

Homework Statement

A 1000 kg weather rocket is launched straight up. The rocket motor provides constant acceleration for 16 s, then the motor stops. The rocket altitude 20 s after launch is 5100 m. You can ignore any effects of air resistance.

a) What was the rocket's acceleration during the first 16 s?
b) What is the rocket's speed as it passes through a cloud 5100 m above the ground?

t = 16s

Homework Equations

None that I know :(

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that at its highest point it stop accelerating and fell back down to the earth. I got 223.56 m/s from the height of 5100 m and the acceleration to gravity. I believe this is wrong, but it was the only thing to go on. Do I used this formula, 0 = 223.56t + 0.5at, where t = 16. Solved for a and got - 447.12m/s/s. This is clearly wrong because I made up positive and down negative. This is claiming it is falling at a rate of 447.12m/s/s downwards. Any hints on where to begin?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, can you provide the question? The problem statement you gave seems to be missing what we are seeking.

Ignea_unda said:
Firstly, can you provide the question? The problem statement you gave seems to be missing what we are seeking.

Sorry about that, I was so sidetracked about how to figure out where to begin I forgot to include the question (Lol). Anyways, if you haven't notice any change in my first post it is as follows:

A 1000 kg weather rocket is launched straight up. The rocket motor provides constant acceleration for 16 s, then the motor stops. The rocket altitude 20 s after launch is 5100 m. You can ignore any effects of air resistance.

a) What was the rocket's acceleration during the first 16 s?
b) What is the rocket's speed as it passes through a cloud 5100 m above the ground?

Look at the problem in stages, with a Free Body Diagram for each of the stages.

For the first stage, you have information from 0s to 16s. On the second stage you have information from 16s to 20s. There's only one difference between the two stages. Put in your forces and your mass. Then you can solve for your acceleration. Note that the rocket isn't necessarily stopped at 5100 m. It's accelerating the entire time there is thrust, so there will still be velocity at the end. Let me know if this helps you at all.

Ignea_unda said:
Look at the problem in stages, with a Free Body Diagram for each of the stages.

For the first stage, you have information from 0s to 16s. On the second stage you have information from 16s to 20s. There's only one difference between the two stages. Put in your forces and your mass. Then you can solve for your acceleration. Note that the rocket isn't necessarily stopped at 5100 m. It's accelerating the entire time there is thrust, so there will still be velocity at the end. Let me know if this helps you at all.

To calculate the constant acceleration during the first 16 s I think about forces, however, we do not have the applied force. So I concluded that there is no way to calculate the net force on the object, and therefore, cannot calculate the acceleration of the object. Or am I missing a key piece of information here?

Re-reading the problem, it looks like I fell into the pitfall of extra information, my apologies. We don't need forces at all. Sorry for misleading you.

The key piece of information is that you need to look at both stages together to solve the problem. Your acceleration for the first part is "a" plus gravity (since gravity is down, it'd be a negative acceleration). The second part you lose that acceleration "a" and only have gravity. At the end of 20s, you know where the rocket is. Think about how you get position from acceleration.

Ignea_unda said:
Re-reading the problem, it looks like I fell into the pitfall of extra information, my apologies. We don't need forces at all. Sorry for misleading you.

The key piece of information is that you need to look at both stages together to solve the problem. Your acceleration for the first part is "a" plus gravity (since gravity is down, it'd be a negative acceleration). The second part you lose that acceleration "a" and only have gravity. At the end of 20s, you know where the rocket is. Think about how you get position from acceleration.

Are you referring to this idea:

Let up be positive:

5100 = 1/2at^2, where a = c -2g when c is constant acceleration and g is gravity.

c = 45.1 m/s/s when you solve for c?

No, but you're getting closer. You know the acceleration due to gravity - it is a constant. You can look it up online or in your textbook. And no one specified that the rate at which the rocket is accelerating upward is the same. So you have 2 accelerations for the first part "Ra" - the rocket acceleration due to it's engine, and 'g' - the negative acceleration due to gravity. In the second part, when the engine is not working any more, you have only 'g' acting. So if you sum those up (remember how long they both act), you set them equal to the height at the end, you will be able to solve for the rocket's acceleration 'Ra'.

I know I am getting close because I am only being off around 1000 m when I used a= c-2g and a=c-g. However, I do not know where to go from here. I am lost for ideas. I use A as a combination of them because I know you could (most likely anyways) express it as one acceleration for the total position of that rocket for 20 seconds. I don't see where one is combine to write it mathematically though. :(

EDIT: I also did this:

5100 = 1/2 at^2, where a = 16^2c - 4^2g
(10200 +16g)/16^2 = c
40.45 m/s/s/ = c.

When checking it by see if both adds up to 5100m in position I get the wrong answer. Is this closer than what I am before?

Last edited:
Never mind. After about three days trying to figure this out. This question was very easy and I got the answer of 35.96 m/s/s. Thank you for your hint. It was very useful. I misread what you were trying to say at the time.

1. How do you calculate the force needed to launch a 1000kg weather rocket?

To calculate the force needed, we use Newton's Second Law of Motion which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma). In this case, we know the mass (1000kg) and we can calculate the acceleration needed by using the rocket equation, F=mΔv/Δt, where m is the mass of the rocket, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time it takes to achieve that change in velocity.

2. What factors influence the force needed to launch a 1000kg weather rocket?

The force needed to launch a 1000kg weather rocket is influenced by several factors such as the weight of the rocket, the desired velocity, the aerodynamics of the rocket, and the thrust of the rocket engines. Other factors like air resistance and gravity also play a role in determining the force needed.

3. How can we determine the thrust of the rocket engines?

The thrust of the rocket engines can be determined by using the rocket equation mentioned earlier, F=mΔv/Δt. We can also use the specific impulse (Isp) of the rocket engine, which is a measure of how efficiently the engine uses propellant. The higher the Isp, the higher the thrust produced by the engine.

4. What is the role of air resistance in launching a 1000kg weather rocket?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of the rocket and can significantly affect the force needed to launch a 1000kg weather rocket. To minimize the impact of air resistance, rockets are designed to be aerodynamic and use fairings to reduce drag.

5. How can we ensure the accuracy of our calculations for launching a 1000kg weather rocket?

To ensure the accuracy of our calculations, we can use computer simulations and models to account for various factors like air resistance and gravity. We can also conduct experiments and gather data to validate our calculations. It is important to regularly review and revise our calculations to improve accuracy and account for any unforeseen variables.