Particle Position & Velocity: Solving s=5i+4r^2j

In summary, the position of the particle as a function of time is described by the equation s=5i+4r^2j. i and j are perpendicular unit vectors. The average velocity between t=0 and t=2 is 8m/s. The instantaneous velocity at t=4 is 32m/s.
scrubber

Homework Statement

The position s (in metres) of a particle, as a function of time t (in seconds), is described by the equation s=5i+4r^2j. i and j are perpendicular unit vectors.
a) Calculate the position of the particle at t=5.
b) Determine the particle's average velocity between t=0 and t=2.
c) Determine the particle's instantaneous velocity at t=4.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) When t=5,
s=5i+4(25)j=5i+100j
s=√10025=100m

b) When t=0,
s=5i=5m
When t=2,
s=5i+4(4)j=5i+16j=√281=16.76m

average velocity=displacement/time=(16.76-5)/(2-0)=5.9m/s

c) By differentiation,
v=4(2)tj=8tj
When t=4,
v=8(4)tj=32j=32m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
scrubber said:
a) When t=5,
s=5i+4(25)j=5i+100j
s=√10025=100m

Hi,

The position of a particle is a vector right? √(52+1002) is the distance.

scrubber said:
b) When t=0,
s=5i=5m
When t=2,
s=5i+4(4)j=5i+16j=√281=16.76m

average velocity=displacement/time=(16.76-5)/(2-0)=5.9m/s

Again, average velocity is a vector. Displacement is the vector difference of the final and initial positions.

Sunil Simha said:
Hi,

The position of a particle is a vector right? √(52+1002) is the distance.

Again, average velocity is a vector. Displacement is the vector difference of the final and initial positions.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean I have to give the direction as well? The angles?
For a),
tanθ=100/5, θ=1.5°
Therefore, the position is 100m 1.5°

And for b), tanβ=16/5, β=1.3o
Therefore, the average velocity is 5.9m/s 1.3°

Like these?

Your answer is right for part (A) but not for part (b).

In part (b), you are supposed to find [itex]\frac{\vec{s_2}-\vec{s_1}}{Δt}[/itex]. You just have to subtract each component (i.e. like final x-initial x and final y- initial y) separately and then divide the resultant vector by t. Your answer should look like [itex] \frac{(x_2-x_1)\hat{i}+(y_2-y_1)\hat{j}}{Δt}[/itex].

You made a mistake on part b because yo wrote
s=5i=5m
Never ever do that.
either something is a vector (5i is a vector), or something is a scalar (5m is a scalar). But something cannot be both a scalar and a vector at the same time, so the equation 5i=5m makes no sense. if s is a vector than you should denote that somehow. One common convention is to use boldface so your equation should look like this
s=5i
|s|=5m.

Always make sure to do that (even on your scraps that you're going to throw away anyways).

One more thing. This is a 2-D motion but the title of the thread says 1-D motion.

1. What is the meaning of "s=5i+4r^2j" in the context of particle position and velocity?

In this equation, s represents the position of the particle in a two-dimensional space, where i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively. The term 5i represents the displacement of the particle in the x direction, while 4r^2j represents the displacement in the y direction, where r is the distance from the origin.

2. How is the velocity of the particle related to the equation s=5i+4r^2j?

The velocity of the particle can be determined by taking the time derivative of the position equation, which results in v=5i+8rj. This means that the velocity of the particle in the x direction is constant at 5 units per second, while the velocity in the y direction increases with the square of the distance from the origin.

3. Can this equation be used to calculate the acceleration of the particle?

Yes, the acceleration of the particle can be found by taking the second derivative of the position equation. In this case, the acceleration would be constant at a=0i+8j, meaning that the particle is moving at a constant acceleration in the y direction.

4. What type of motion does this equation represent?

This equation represents a motion that is both linear and quadratic. The particle is moving in a straight line in the x direction, while its motion in the y direction is quadratic, as the velocity increases with the square of the distance from the origin.

5. Is there any other information needed to fully describe the motion of the particle?

Yes, in addition to the position and velocity equations, information about the initial position and velocity of the particle is needed to fully describe its motion. This could include the starting point (x,y) and the initial velocity in the x and y directions.