Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D wave equation with gravity

1. May 2, 2004 #1
    I have a wave equation Ytt=c^2 Yxx - g where g is a constant. The boundary conditions are Y(0,t)=Y(L,t)=0 with initial conditions Y(x,0)=0 and Yt(x,0)=0 I tried to solve it by Laplace transfoming the PDE in time and everything worked fine until I got to the point where I had to inverse the transform but things got ugly. Obviously, I have a nonhomogenous PDE with homogeneous boundary conditions. I was going to expand everything in terms of the related eigenfunctions sin(n Pi x/L)but it's not right to expand the constant g in terms of eigenfunctions. I can't do seperation of variables because the PDE is inhomogeneous. What's the trick here to get me started without using integral transforms?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"I was going to expand everything in terms of the related eigenfunctions sin(n Pi x/L)but it's not right to expand the constant g in terms of eigenfunctions."

Why not? If you are restricted to a finite interval, say 0 to a, then it is fairly simple to expand a constant in a sine series by treating it as an odd function with period 2a. If you have an infinite interval, you will need to use a Fourier Transform anyway.

4. May 2, 2004 #3
    Thanks HallsofIvy, so I should expand g=Sum form n=0 to infinity(gn sin(n Pi x/L)), and of course the gn coefficients can be found using inner product and the orthogonality of the eigenfunctions, correct?

5. May 3, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, just find the coefficients the way you would for any function. Because there is a discontinuity at 0 and L, there will be an inaccuracy for any finite truncation of the series but that shouldn't bother you .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?