Processing a "Raw Spectrum" - A Beginner's Attempt

In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of a compound based on its NMR spectrum. The first picture shows the raw spectrum and the second one is the processed version. The group suspects the compound to be aromatic due to a signal between 7 and 8 ppm. They also mention possible functional groups such as OH and CH2. The conversation also touches on the use of integrals and peak picking in the aromatic region. They also discuss how computers may be able to identify compounds more efficiently in the future. They also mention the presence of a halogen in the compound and discuss the possible arrangement of substituents. The conversation ends with a discussion about the stability of a potential C(OH)3 group in the compound.
Sippi7299
Homework Statement
Identify the unknown compound with the help of an 1H NMR-Spectrum
Relevant Equations
further information about the compound:
Melting point: 78-80°C
Heteroatoms: X,O
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-16 um 11.09.24.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-16 um 14.31.15.png

The first picture shows the "raw spectrum" before processing it and the second one is my attempt to process it.
I was not sure about the solvent peak because it is expected to be a singulett at 7,26 ppm but I could not really identify a clear singulett so I dichtet to go with the peak that stood out the most (I'm a total beginner).

I am pretty sure its an aromatic compound because of the signal between 7 and 8 ppm.
the signal at 1,7 could be OH or I guess.
I am not sure about the one at 4,7 ppm it could be a CH2 group attached to an OH maybe.
A thing that would help me first is if I could get the integrals right so I have at least the right number of H-Atoms per peak and I'm also not sure about my peak picking in the aromatic region since a lot of signals are very near to each other in this region so I am not sure if its maybe actually just two signals.

I am very thankful for any kind of help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The multiplets in the aromatic region have an integration number of roughly 3.5. The singlet at 4.7ppm has an intgration number of 1, and the singlet at 1.7 has an integration number of roughly 1.5. multiply all those numbers by 2, and you have seven aromatic protons, two chemically equivalent Ph-OH groups and three chemically equivalent ROH groups. There is only one way to put them together that makes much sense, as far as I'm aware. Is that consistent with your melting point?

Imho, compound identification is something that computers will be able to do more efficiently than humans one day.

Last edited:
Likes Sippi7299
thank you very much for your answer! :)
I am new to NMR and I was actually a bit surprised to find out that computers are not already able to solve the problems in an efficient way...
Anyways, regarding the spectrum, I do know, that the heteroatoms in this spectrum are O and X so one substituent must contain a halogen.
also I might add that I added the Integrals manually so there could be faults there as I've never processed a spectrum before.
May I also ask how you know that the signal at 4,7 ppm is the solent? That's something that I could not quite find out yet how to determine so I just set the signal closest to 7,2 ppm as a solvent peak as you could see above.
Again, thank your for your help

Last edited:
Sippi7299 said:
May I also ask how you know that the signal at 4,7 ppm is the solent? That's something that I could not quite find out yet how to determine so I just set the signal closest to 7,2 ppm as a solvent peak as you could see above.
Again, thank your help
Sorry, that was a typo.. I was going to ask if the solvent peak between 7-7.5 ppm contributes to the integration numbers, and then I figured it out.

Likes Sippi7299
alright, no problem :). Do you have any idea what the X atom could be since it definitely has to be part of the compound?

If the integration number of the aromatic protons is 6 instead of 7 (It could be both since 1.76 is almost as close to 1.5 as it is to 2) then the halogen would just replace one of the protons. You just have to make sure the two OH protons are placed so that they are chemically equivalent, and draw the structure that is most sterically and electronically favorable.

Likes Sippi7299
docnet said:
you have seven aromatic protons, two chemically equivalent Ph-OH groups and three chemically equivalent ROH groups.
so one substituent would be a Halogen and there would be two chemically equivalent -OH substitutes? And what about these ROH groups? I'm sorry that I can't quite follow yet since this this type of analysis is fairly new to me but I want to be able to comprehend your analysis. Thank you for the help :)

I was thinking something like this:

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 10.56.51 PM.png

I am confident about the presence of a ##C(OH)_3## group and less confident about the rest of the molecule, because the integration numbers aren't exact. Even if the molecular formula is correct, the substituents could be arranged differently. Also, the two aromatic rings are not planar like in this drawing, but one is "rotated" 90 degrees relative to the other.

Likes Sippi7299
Ah ok, now I see. Thank you very much for the help :) I will try to continue from there on

I haven’t looked closely at the spectrum, but a C(OH)3 group will never ever ever in a million years be stable.

Likes chemisttree and Sippi7299
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-19 um 00.11.02.png

I changed the integral values so currently it looks like this.
I still think that a 1,2 substituted benzene could be possible...like 2-bromobenzyl alcohol.

TeethWhitener said:
I haven’t looked closely at the spectrum, but a C(OH)3 group will never ever ever in a million years be stable.
That is a great and valid point. I guess I've already forgotten organic chemistry 😓.

Likes Sippi7299
I think the chloroform solvent peak is dramatically interfering with the integration over the aromatic region. I think that if the peak at 1.7 integrates to 3H, then the aromatic region likely integrates to 4H.

Likes Sippi7299
Sippi7299 said:
I still think that a 1,2 substituted benzene could be possible...like 2-bromobenzyl alcohol.
You might be along the right lines for 1,2-disubstitution but integration of the 2 singlets are the wrong way round for this. CH2 of a benzyl alcohol should be ~4.7 but only integrates to one proton.

Likes Sippi7299
yeah, the integration causes the problem here. The singlet at 4,7 says 1,94 for the integration, so I'd say it could be CH2 but the singlet at 1,7 has an integration value of 2,73 so way to high...
the thing is, I know that one heteroatom in the structure is O so the singlets are probably some kind of O group.
I was thinking, maybe the OH integrates so high because it overlaps with the water in the solvent? idk if that even makes senes... what do you think the substituent could be?

Yes, suppose could be water in the sample though CDCl3 is usually pretty dry and surprised you'd be given a problem like this with a confusing peak like that.
Apart from this, does fit with 2-bromobenzyl alcohol as you suggest and the m.p. is spot on!

Likes Sippi7299
yeah, the melting point fits perfectly so I just hoped that the peaks would fit too haha.
True, CDCl3 is pretty dry, would be different with DMSO but I know for sure that the solvent is CDCl3.
I'm not sure if I should stick with my answer and try to explain the high integration or try to find another substance... but with the information given, I can't think of much else

one group that would fit the integration would be
IMG_1738.jpg
but then the melting point does not fit

What is a "raw spectrum"?

A "raw spectrum" refers to the initial data collected from a spectrometer, which is a device used to measure the intensity of light at different wavelengths. It is the starting point for processing and analyzing the data.

Why is processing a raw spectrum important?

Processing a raw spectrum is important because it allows for the removal of background noise and other artifacts, as well as the enhancement of signal intensity. This makes the data easier to interpret and can lead to more accurate results.

What are some common methods for processing a raw spectrum?

Some common methods for processing a raw spectrum include baseline correction, smoothing, and peak fitting. These techniques help to improve the quality of the data and make it easier to identify and analyze peaks.

What factors should be considered when processing a raw spectrum?

When processing a raw spectrum, it is important to consider factors such as the type of sample being analyzed, the instrument used to collect the data, and the desired outcome. Different methods and parameters may be more suitable for different types of data and research goals.

Are there any limitations to processing a raw spectrum?

Yes, there are limitations to processing a raw spectrum. For example, the quality of the data may be affected by the instrument used to collect it, and some processing techniques may introduce errors or distortions. It is important to carefully evaluate the data before and after processing to ensure the validity of the results.