How Does Heat Addition Change the Temperature of an Ideal Gas?

In summary, the question asks for the final temperature of an ideal monatomic gas after 2114 J of heat is added and 811 J of work is done on it. The specific heat of a monatomic gas at constant volume is Cv = 3R/2, where R is the universal gas constant. Using the equation \Delta U = nC_v\Delta T, we can determine the final temperature of the gas.
keemosabi

Homework Statement

Three moles of an ideal monatomic gas are at a temperature of 345 K. Then, 2114 J of heat are added to the gas, and 811 J of work are done on it. What is the final temperature of the gas?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling I'm missing an equation. I thought the equation was U = Q - W but that won't help me here.

Physics news on Phys.org
keemosabi said:
[

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling I'm missing an equation. I thought the equation was U = Q - W but that won't help me here.
How is U related to temperature? Hint: what is the specific heat of a monatomic gas at constant volume (where W = 0 so Q = U)?

AM

Doesn't it depend upon the gas?

keemosabi said:
Doesn't it depend upon the gas?
Not if it is an ideal gas, which this is. The specific heat is Cv = 3R/2 where R is the universal gas constant (units are J/mole K). Since, by definition, [itex]\Delta Q = nC_v\Delta T[/itex] and [itex]\Delta U = \Delta Q[/itex] for a constant volume process and since U is a function only of T, it follows that

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/itex]

regardless of the type of process.

AM

What is the 1st Law of Thermodynamics?

The 1st Law of Thermodynamics is also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

How does the 1st Law of Thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

The 1st Law of Thermodynamics applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, when we eat food, our body converts the stored energy into different forms to carry out various functions. Similarly, the energy from the sun is converted into electricity for our daily use.

What is an example of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics in action?

An example of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics in action is a car engine. The chemical energy from the fuel is converted into heat energy, which is then used to power the engine and move the car.

Does the 1st Law of Thermodynamics apply to closed systems only?

No, the 1st Law of Thermodynamics applies to all systems, whether open, closed, or isolated. In open systems, energy and matter can be exchanged with the surroundings, while in closed systems, only energy can be exchanged, and in isolated systems, neither energy nor matter can be exchanged.

How does the 1st Law of Thermodynamics relate to the concept of entropy?

The 1st Law of Thermodynamics and the concept of entropy are closely related. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The 1st Law states that the total energy of a system remains constant, but it can be converted into forms with higher entropy, resulting in a decrease in the overall energy quality.