1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st Law of Thermodynamics

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three moles of an ideal monatomic gas are at a temperature of 345 K. Then, 2114 J of heat are added to the gas, and 811 J of work are done on it. What is the final temperature of the gas?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a feeling I'm missing an equation. I thought the equation was U = Q - W but that won't help me here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How is U related to temperature? Hint: what is the specific heat of a monatomic gas at constant volume (where W = 0 so Q = U)?

AM

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    Doesn't it depend upon the gas?

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not if it is an ideal gas, which this is. The specific heat is Cv = 3R/2 where R is the universal gas constant (units are J/mole K). Since, by definition, [itex]\Delta Q = nC_v\Delta T[/itex] and [itex]\Delta U = \Delta Q[/itex] for a constant volume process and since U is a function only of T, it follows that

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/itex]

regardless of the type of process.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?