Is Turbine Work Calculated Using the First Law or Q - W = U2 - U1?

In summary, the first law of work in a turbine, also known as the first law of thermodynamics, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This applies to turbines by converting the energy of a fluid into mechanical work, and is affected by factors such as the type of fluid, temperature, pressure, and design of the turbine. Real-world applications of this law can be seen in power plants, jet engines, and wind turbines. It is also related to the concept of energy conservation, as it states that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant.
kal00
So I'm just a little confused with turbine work.

Generally I've been solving it with first law -W = H2 - H1, so W = H1 - H2 = Cp(T1 - T2)

But what about Q - W = U2 - U1?

Can't that make it W = U1 - U2 = Cv(T1 - T2) giving a different answer. I have a feeling my understanding of something is amiss.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Something in my head clicked and I'm guessing the Q - W = dU is only for closed systems?

What is the first law of work in a turbine?

The first law of work in a turbine, also known as the first law of thermodynamics, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

How does the first law of work apply to turbines?

In turbines, the first law of work applies by converting the energy of a fluid, such as steam or gas, into mechanical work. This work can then be used to power machines or generate electricity.

What factors affect the first law of work in a turbine?

The first law of work in a turbine is affected by factors such as the type of fluid used, the temperature and pressure of the fluid, and the design of the turbine itself. These factors can impact the efficiency and output of the turbine.

What are some real-world applications of the first law of work in turbines?

The first law of work in turbines is used in many real-world applications, including power plants, jet engines, and wind turbines. It plays a crucial role in our everyday lives by providing electricity and powering transportation.

How is the first law of work in turbines related to the concept of energy conservation?

The first law of work in turbines is related to the concept of energy conservation because it states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted. This means that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant, and any energy that is lost in a turbine is converted into another form, such as heat.