Is Parthenogenesis Possible in Mice Through Single Gene Knockout?

• Thread starter iansmith
  • Start date
In summary, a study published in Nature reported the creation of the first mouse through parthenogenesis, where one allele of a maternally expressed gene was knocked out in an oocyte derived from two maternal genomes. This resulted in a viable offspring with a paternal-like genome. However, some researchers have expressed confusion and doubts about the results and the practical use of this process.
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Single gene knockout in dual maternal oocyte results in viable mice, but some doubt study | By Cathy Holding

A study published in the advance online publication of Nature today (April 21) reports the first mouse created by parthenogenesis. But a leading researcher called the results very confusing, saying they raise more questions than answers.

Tomohiro Kono and colleagues from the Tokyo University of Agriculture, Japan, report that they knocked out one allele of H19—a maternally expressed gene thought to function as A noncoding mRNA that blocks IN CIS the expression of Igf2—in an oocyte derived solely from two maternal genomes. A normally developed and viable parthenote resulted, suggesting a pivotal role for the paternally imprinted H19 gene in allowing Igf2 expression from the paternal allele and controlling the requirement for a paternal genome, according to the authors.

“When you put these two sets of chromosomes together functionally, the individual would have a father-like genome with the original mother genome, and therefore it works and gives rise to a live offspring,” Patrick Tam, head of the embryology unit at the Children's Medical Research Institute, Westmead, Australia, who wrote an accompanying News and Views article, told The Scientist.

In prior experiments, the Tokyo group had used a maternally imprinted genome and a neutral genome, which still proved to be lethal, according to Wolf Reik, head of developmental genetics and imprinting at the Babraham Institute in Cambridge, UK. “What they are trying to do now is convert the neutral genome into a paternal one by giving it this H19 deletion allele, which allows the neutral genome to express Igf2—and this is clearly a key event that needs to happen here,” said Reik, who was not involved in the study.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040421/01 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I haven't gone to read the article, but I'm confused. If they combined TWO maternal genomes, why are they calling it parthenogenesis? My understanding of the term parthenogenetic has always been that it refers to development of offspring from an unfertilized egg, as occurs in many reptilian species.

So pretty soon I guess lesbians will be able to have their very own babies!

- Warren

This is one of the definition of parthenogenesis

What the team did fits that description, there was no male elements and no fertilization.

The feature in nature has a bit more details http://www.nature.com/nsu/040419/040419-8.html

Last edited:
This is a breakthrough, but what is the practical use for such a process?

ShawnD said:
This is a breakthrough, but what is the practical use for such a process?

As part of a "Start your own religion" kit?

chroot said:
So pretty soon I guess lesbians will be able to have their very own babies!

- Warren
As I predicted :rolleyes:
"[URL [Broken] males getting their own genetic baby... a future possibility?
[/url]

I haven't read the research article yet, but I know they had to go through several loops to be able to make a baby mouse from two females. The problem is with genetic imprinting, male and female genomes have a higher level of architecture that is not fully understood.

Monique said:
As I predicted :rolleyes:
"[URL [Broken] males getting their own genetic baby... a future possibility?
[/url]
I don't even want to ask where it comes out :eek:

This is bog****e! I will still go for le naturelle!

1. What is parthenogenesis?

Parthenogenesis is a form of reproduction that occurs without fertilization by a male. It is a type of asexual reproduction where a female organism can produce offspring that are genetically identical to her.

2. How did the first mouse by parthenogenesis come about?

The first mouse by parthenogenesis was created in a laboratory experiment where researchers used genetic engineering techniques to delete certain genes in female mice's eggs. This resulted in the eggs developing into embryos without the need for fertilization.

3. Is the first mouse by parthenogenesis a clone?

Yes, the first mouse by parthenogenesis is considered a clone because it was created using a single parent's genetic material and is genetically identical to that parent.

4. Are there any potential applications for parthenogenesis in humans?

While parthenogenesis is currently not possible in humans, there have been studies looking into the potential use of this reproductive method for treating certain genetic disorders or infertility. However, there are ethical and safety concerns that need to be addressed before this can be considered as a viable option for human reproduction.

5. What are the implications of parthenogenesis for genetic diversity?

Parthenogenesis can result in a lack of genetic diversity within a species, as the offspring are genetically identical to the parent. This can make the species more susceptible to diseases and environmental changes. However, in some cases, parthenogenesis can also result in the creation of new genetic variations, leading to an increase in diversity within a species.

Back