1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st order expansion problem!

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, as this minor problem should be fairly easy. But I seem to go wrong at some point...

So I've got to do a 1st order expansion of the function
    \begin{equation}
    f=\frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sin(\theta)}\ln(\frac{L\sin(\theta)}{d\cos( \theta)}+1)
    \end{equation}

and my steps are:

\begin{equation}

f(0)=0 \\
    f^{\prime}(\theta)=-\frac{1}{\sin^2(\theta)}\ln(\frac{L\sin(\theta)}{d\cos(\theta)}+1)+ \frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sin(\theta)}\frac{d\cos(\theta)}{L\sin(\theta)+d \cos(\theta)}(\frac{\cos^2(\theta)+\sin^2(\theta)}{\cos^2(\theta)}\frac{L}{d}).
    \end{equation}

When I insert theta=0 I end up divding by 0...
    Furthermore, when I make my computer do the expansion, I get the correct result from the assignment I'm working on.

If anyone could help me out, I'd be grateful!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

f(0) is not defined, you need the limits at theta=0. Better expand the logarithm. You know that ln(1+x) ≈ x-x/2 if |x|<<1.

ehild

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. May 26, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or, if you let ##x = \tan\theta## and ##k=\frac L d## you have ##\frac{\ln(1+kx)}{x}##. You can find the limit as ##x\to 0## using L'Hospital's rule.

5. May 27, 2014 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

If you're not sure about the substitution, you would have:

[tex]\lim_{\theta\to 0}f(\theta )=\lim_{\theta\to 0}\frac{\log\left(1+\frac{L}{d}\tan\theta\right)}{\tan\theta} = \lim_{\theta\to 0}\frac{\frac{d}{d\theta}\log\left(1+\frac{L}{d}\tan\theta\right)}{ \frac{d}{d\theta} \tan\theta}= \cdots[/tex]

6. May 28, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The function can be written in simpler form as benorin has shown:

[tex]f(\theta )=\frac{\log\left(1+\frac{L}{d}\tan\theta\right)}{\tan\theta} [/tex]

Use the Taylor expansion of log(1+x) = x - x2/2. Let be x=tan(theta).

[tex]f(\theta )≈\frac{\frac{L}{d}\tan\theta-\left(\frac{L}{d}\tan\theta\right)^2/2}{\tan\theta} [/tex]

Simplify by tan(θ): You get an expression linear in tan(θ). You can expand tan(θ) with respect to θ...

ehild

7. May 30, 2014 #6
    Thanks for all of your answers, it really helped me out. I've reread the series chapter of my calculus book, and I've come to a much better understanding of that subject in general.

I basically expand the logarithm in the function, and then I expand the function, which gave the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted