1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st order ODE Question

1. Jan 24, 2006 #1
    dy/dx=x^2+y^2; y(0)=0

okay i solved this question using homogenous

subsitute v=y/x

v+x*dv/dx=1+v^2 then use exact equation

dv/((v-1/2)^2+3/4)=(dx/x or just ln(x))

then integrate dv/((v-1/2)^2+3/4)

then substitue everything back in

okay ths thing is now i can not plug in y(0)=0 to get the constant for c and the other thing is this is suppose to be a unique and exisit throughout the interval [0,1/2] i used picard's theorem to show that its continus and estimated h=[0,1/2] the thing is im suppose to plug in 1/2 into y
    y(1/2) and when i solve the equation however i can't get a constant
    and when i use picard's iteration method successful approximation i do not get the same number. well one thing is i don't have the constant c unless i did the ODE totally wrong. can't think of another first order technique.

when i do picard's iteration method i get .047**** but if i have c i could might have the same answer when i plug in 1/2 one question is am i suppose to do solving it by subtitution and how is it possible tof ind the constant term? or am i totally wrong?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?