1st order quasi-linear pde

• Thread starter sapiental
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the given problem involves finding a solution to the first-order partial differential equation u*u_x + y*u_y = x, with the initial condition u = 2*s on the parametric curve x = s, y = s. The functions a(x,y,z), b(x,y,z), and c(x,y,z) in the equation are not fixed with respect to the partial derivatives u_x and u_y, and can be expressed in terms of the variable s to find the solution u(x,y) that satisfies the given equation and initial condition. It is not necessary to introduce a second variable t, and it is not necessary to swap the variables z and x.
sapiental

Homework Statement

u*u_x + y*u_y = xInitial condition:

u = 2*s on the parametric curve given by x = s, y = s, s is any real number.

Homework Equations

Given the equation:

a(x,y,z)*u_x + b(x,y,z)*u_y = c(x,y,z)

Here, u(x,y) is an unknown function which we're trying to find.

a(x,y,z),b(x,y,z),c(x,y,z) are given functions of 3 variables.

The initial condition is a requirement that the unknown function u has a prescribed value when restricted to the parametric curve:

u(x_o(s),y_o(s)) = u_o(s), u_o(s) is a given function.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt crumbles early on.

From looking at the equation I get:a(x,y,z) = u

b(x,y,z) = y

c(x,y,z) = x

We alos have x(0) = s, y(0) = s, and u(x(0),y(0)) = u(s,s) = 2s

My professor mentioned we need to introduce a 2nd variable, t, for the following relations

dx(t)/dt = a(x(t),y(t),z(t))
dy(t)/dt = b(x(t),y(t),z(t))
dz(t)/dt = c(x(t),y(t),z(t))
1.dx/dt = u , x(0) = s

2.dy/dt = y , y(0) = s

3.dz/dt = x , u(x(0),y(0)) = 2s
I have a feeling that this might be wrong, and my other hypothesis is the following set up:dz(t)/dt = a(x(t),y(t),z(t))
dy(t)/dt = b(x(t),y(t),z(t))
dx(t)/dt = c(x(t),y(t),z(t))

*note the swap between z and x.

my main problem is relating a,b,c to the equation. For example, are

a(x(t),y(t),z(t))
b(x(t),y(t),z(t))
c(x(t),y(t),z(t))

fixed with respect to the partial derivattives u_x and u_y, or can I switch them around like I did in my second hypothesis?

This clarification will allow me to finish the problem. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your attempt at finding a solution to the given equation and initial condition is on the right track, but there are a few things that can be clarified.

Firstly, in your initial attempt, you correctly identified the functions a(x,y,z), b(x,y,z), and c(x,y,z) as u, y, and x respectively. However, the given equation is in the form of a first-order partial differential equation, so it is not necessary to introduce a second variable t. Instead, we can use the chain rule to express the partial derivatives of u with respect to x and y in terms of the variable s, which is already given in the initial condition.

Secondly, in your second attempt, it is not necessary to swap the variables z and x. The given equation and initial condition are in terms of x and y, so it is more straightforward to use these variables in our solution.

To clarify, the functions a(x,y,z), b(x,y,z), and c(x,y,z) are not fixed with respect to the partial derivatives u_x and u_y. They are simply given functions of three variables that we can use to express u_x and u_y in terms of the variable s. This will enable us to find the solution u(x,y) that satisfies the given equation and initial condition.

I hope this helps in your solution. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is a 1st order quasi-linear PDE?

A 1st order quasi-linear PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to multiple variables. It is called "quasi-linear" because it is a combination of linear and non-linear terms.

2. What makes a PDE "quasi-linear"?

A PDE is considered quasi-linear if it satisfies a specific mathematical condition known as the "linearization" condition, which ensures that the equation can be solved using linear methods.

3. What are some examples of 1st order quasi-linear PDEs?

Examples of 1st order quasi-linear PDEs include the heat equation, the wave equation, the transport equation, and the Burgers' equation. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model various physical phenomena.

4. How do you solve a 1st order quasi-linear PDE?

The general approach to solving a 1st order quasi-linear PDE involves first linearizing the equation by transforming it into a system of linear equations. This can be done using methods such as the method of characteristics or the method of characteristics. The resulting linear system can then be solved using standard techniques, such as separation of variables or the Fourier transform method.

5. What are the applications of 1st order quasi-linear PDEs?

1st order quasi-linear PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetics. They are also used in financial modeling and image processing. These equations are essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems and phenomena.