1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 1st-order WF correction

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A have a bit of a general question regarding 1st order wave function corrections using perturbation theory.

In a problem like the infinite potential well where you have states numbered like n = 1, 2, 3, ..., how do you compute the sum for the 1st order correction when you have infinite terms?:

[tex]\psi_n^{(1)} = \Sigma_{l \ne n} \frac{<\psi_n^{(0)}|H'|\psi_l^{(0)}>}{E_n^{(0)} - E_l^{(0)}} \psi_l^{(0)}[/tex]

I guess I don't know how to get <n|H'|l> so I can evaluate the sum

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know what your perturbation H' looks like? Sometimes the non-zero terms in the summation result in something that can be summed analytically.

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    This was the thinking I was missing!

So for H' = constant there is no first-order correction because [itex]l \ne n[/itex], yes?

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. If you add a constant to your Hamiltonian, you shift the zero of energy but you do not change its eigenstates.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook