Verifying Parabola Equation: y=1/9x^2, Origin, (-6,4)

• Thread starter TonyC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig Year
In summary, the standard form equation of a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, the vertex can be found using the formula h = -b/2a, the equation can be verified by checking if it follows the standard form and graphing it, the origin represents the symmetrical point and can be used to determine the minimum or maximum point, and a given point can be used to verify the equation by plugging in the x-coordinate and solving for y.
TonyC
Just checking my work:
Find the equation of the parabola with vertex at the origin, that passed through the point (-6,4) and opens upward.

I came up with y=1/9x^2

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can check yourself. If the graph goes through (-6,4), it means that when you put x=-6 into the equation you should get y=4. Is that the case?

Yes, that is what I used...am I right?

What more do you need?

Thank you...still trying to muddle through this!

1. What is the standard form equation of a parabola?

The standard form equation of a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This form is useful for graphing and identifying key features of the parabola.

2. How do you determine the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is located at the point (h, k), where h is the x-coordinate and k is the y-coordinate. To find the vertex, use the formula h = -b/2a and plug in the values of a and b from the standard form equation. Then, substitute h into the equation to find the corresponding y-coordinate.

3. How can I verify if a given equation is a parabola?

To verify if a given equation is a parabola, check if it follows the standard form y = ax^2 + bx + c. If the equation does not follow this form, it is not a parabola. Additionally, you can graph the equation and see if it forms a U-shaped curve, which is characteristic of a parabola.

4. What is the significance of the origin in a parabola equation?

The origin, (0,0), is the point where the x-axis and y-axis intersect. In a parabola equation, the origin represents the point where the parabola is symmetrical and the y-value is equal to 0. This point is also the minimum or maximum point of the parabola, depending on the direction of the opening.

5. How can I verify the equation y = 1/9x^2 using a given point?

To verify the equation y = 1/9x^2, plug in the x-coordinate of the given point into the equation and solve for y. If the resulting y-value matches the y-coordinate of the given point, then the point lies on the parabola and can be used to verify the equation.