Calculate pH of 2.0e-8M NaOH in Water

• Thread starter gunnar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, to calculate the pH of a solution with 2.0e-8 M NaOH in water, you can use the equations Kw = [OH-][H+] and [OH-] = [H+] + [Na+], which can be rearranged to solve for [H+]. This can be done using a quadratic equation and can be made easier using a chemical calculator like BATE.
gunnar
there are 2.0e-8 M NaOH in water. I have to calculate the pH of the solution considering the OH from the water. The answear to this is pH=7.04 I know this is calculated with the quadratic equation. what I don't get is how to set this up. I alway get a wrong answear. Can somone help me with this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
gunnar said:
there are 2.0e-8 M NaOH in water. I have to calculate the pH of the solution considering the OH from the water. The answer to this is pH=7.04 I know this is calculated with the quadratic equation. what I don't get is how to set this up. I alway get a wrong answear. Can somone help me with this?

You have two equations:

Kw = [OH-][H+]

and charge balance:

[OH-] = [H+] + [Na+]

This is enough to solve the problem, but in case you don't know what to do next:

You have to get rid of [OH-], so rearrange first equation

[OH-] = Kw / [H+]

and use [OH-] in the second equation:

Kw/[H+] = [H+] + [Na+]

That's your quadratic equation.

Try BATE for such (and much more complicated) pH and acid - base equilibrium calculations.
--

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Worked out fine. Thanks a lot :smile:

1. How do you calculate the pH of a solution?

To calculate the pH of a solution, you need to know the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in the solution. This can be determined using the formula pH = -log[H+].

2. What is the concentration of hydrogen ions in 2.0e-8M NaOH?

The concentration of hydrogen ions in 2.0e-8M NaOH is 2.0e-8 mol/L. This is because NaOH is a strong base and completely dissociates in water to form Na+ and OH- ions. The concentration of OH- ions is equal to the concentration of NaOH.

3. Why is the pH of 2.0e-8M NaOH considered basic?

The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14, with a pH of 7 being neutral. A pH less than 7 is considered acidic, while a pH higher than 7 is considered basic. Since the concentration of OH- ions in 2.0e-8M NaOH is higher than the concentration of H+ ions, the solution is considered basic.

4. Can the pH of 2.0e-8M NaOH be directly calculated?

No, the pH of 2.0e-8M NaOH cannot be directly calculated. This is because the concentration of H+ ions is very low and difficult to measure accurately. Instead, the concentration of OH- ions is used to indirectly determine the pH using the formula pH = 14 + log[OH-].

5. How does the concentration of NaOH affect the pH of the solution?

The concentration of NaOH directly affects the pH of the solution. As the concentration of NaOH increases, the concentration of OH- ions also increases, making the solution more basic and resulting in a higher pH. Similarly, a decrease in NaOH concentration would result in a lower pH.