1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2:1 formula

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1
    i have heard

when you draw a median in a triangle ....the median gets 2:1 bisected

i want to know when this happens ?

which one is the bigger portion ?

which one is the lower portion ?

can you please tell me the details of it.

can u please provide me a specific web page which explains this stuff ?

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I simply can't figure out what you mean. Can you post a drawing of that triangle...?

Daniel.

4. Mar 30, 2006 #3
    nobody replied.

if medians sects each other who is "2" and who is "1" .....so i want to know about 2:1 formula.

which situation this rule works ?

can you please provide me a tutorial for this ?

5. Mar 30, 2006 #4
  6. Mar 30, 2006 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

What do you mean? I don't really get that?
    What does the problem actually say?
    Which one is the median, and which one is the bisector?
    Or do you mean the centroid of a triangle (i.e, the single point where the 3 medians in a triangle intersect each other)? :)

7. Mar 30, 2006 #6
    OD = 1/3 AD ; AO = 2/3 AD

AO = 2OD ; AO:OD = 2 : 1

or OD : AO = 1 : 2

8. Mar 31, 2006 #7
    yes...probabily you are right.

in fact i dont know the details.

all i know is , a median is divided into 2:1 ratio sometimes .....but when ? i dont know. .....thats what i want to know.

can you please tell when does it occur ?

does it occur when 3 medians intersects each other ?

well, suppose 3 medians intersect each other, so that means each of the median is divided into 2:1 ratio ....but which portion is 2 and which portion is 1 ?

does the
    top-->center=2
    and
    center-->bottom(middle of a side)=1

is this correct ?

Please provide me a tutorial.
    i want to know about this thing.

i could not search "google" becuase i dont know what search keywords i should use to search .

thank you

9. Mar 31, 2006 #8

VietDao29

Homework Helper

In the post #5, I did provide you the link to a wikipedia article about triangle. In the article, you will fnd a part that tells you something about the centroid. It's in the Points, lines and circles associated with a triangle section (number 3).
    --------------
    I'll give you a brief explanation if you want. But I may say, my terminology is not the best.
    Let ABC be a triangle, and AM be one of its median. [tex]M \in BC[/tex]
    We define the point G on the line segment AM such that:
    [tex]\frac{AG}{GM} = \frac{2}{1} \quad \mbox{or} \quad \frac{AG}{AM} = \frac{2}{3} \quad \mbox{or} \quad \frac{MG}{AM} = \frac{1}{3}[/tex].
    Then G is the centroid of the triangle ABC.
    That is, the median BN, and CK pass through G.
    And if we have 3 medians AM, BN, CK, they will intersect each other at only one point, namely G (the centroid).
    Can you get it? :)

10. Apr 2, 2006 #9
    the centroid of a triangle has many 2:1 properties.

consider triangle ABC, with medians AD, BE, and CF.

1. Centroid G divides medians in the ratio 2:1, so that [tex]\frac{AG}{GD} = \frac{BG}{GE} = \frac{CG}{GF} = \frac {2}{1} [/tex]

2. the centroid G divides the line joining the circumcentre O and the orthocentre H in the ratio 2:1 so that [tex] \frac{HG}{CG} = \frac{2}{1} [/tex]

3. the foot of the perpendiculars P, Q, and R from the centroid to altitudes, divides the altitudes AX, BY, and CZ in the ratio 2:1. that is [tex] \frac{AP}{PX} = \frac{BQ}{QY} = \frac{CR}{RZ} = \frac{2}{1} [/tex]

i am sure there are more such properties of the centroid, (though its a guess).... the moment i find out more, i'll post it....

11. Apr 4, 2006 #10
    Hi, centroid is a complex thing.

can i ask 2 questions on this centroid ?

does all triangle have centroid ? does all triangles medians intesect each other in a common point which is called the centroid ?

OR ,

there are few triangles (who are they ?) which has centroid ?

please answer.

thanks

12. Apr 5, 2006 #11

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Every triangle has a centroid, the centroid is defined to bo the intersection of its 3 medians.
    There should be a proof of 3 medians in a triangle intersect each other at only 1 point in your text book, and that point is called the centroid of that triangle.
    Can you get this? :)

13. Apr 5, 2006 #12
    beautiful.............thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?