Calculating Properties of a 2.2 eV Electron

In summary: But you could use the following relationships to simplify things:$$v = E/c$$$$v = 1/2mv^2$$So, if you solve for v, you'd get:v = 1.92x10^-8 m/s
EgpYo

Homework Statement

I need to figure out the energy, rest mass, speed, wavelength and momentum of a 2.2 eV electron. Thats all it says.

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what 2.2 eV is. The kinetic energy?
This converts to 3.52x10^-19 J

Rest mass should be 9.11x10^-31. Or do I use E=mc^2? Why or why not?

No idea how to find speed, which I need to calculate wavelength and momentum. I could use Ek= 1/2mv^2 because the electron will not be traveling close to the speed of light, but I feel like this is not the way you SHOULD calculate it. There has to be another way.

Physics news on Phys.org
EgpYo said:

Homework Statement

I need to figure out the energy, rest mass, speed, wavelength and momentum of a 2.2 eV electron. Thats all it says.

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what 2.2 eV is. The kinetic energy?
This converts to 3.52x10^-19 J
Yes, that'll be the kinetic energy.
Rest mass should be 9.11x10^-31. Or do I use E=mc^2? Why or why not?

No idea how to find speed, which I need to calculate wavelength and momentum. I could use Ek= 1/2mv^2 because the electron will not be traveling close to the speed of light, but I feel like this is not the way you SHOULD calculate it. There has to be another way.

Check the speed that you get when you apply Newtonian physics to find the speed from the KE . If its much less than the speed of light then you can continue with Newtonian physics and ignore relativistic effects. So, what value do you get for speed via 1/2mv2?

8.79x10^5 m/s

EgpYo said:
8.79x10^5 m/s
How does that compare to the speed of light (percentage-wise)?

Its 0.293% of the speed of light. But I'm mainly concerned about how to do the question without Ek=1/2mv^2. What if it WAS close to the speed of light? Is there a different procedure I can use?

EgpYo said:
Its 0.293% of the speed of light. But I'm mainly concerned about how to do the question without Ek=1/2mv^2. What if it WAS close to the speed of light? Is there a different procedure I can use?
Yes, you would need to invoke the formulas of special relativity to deal with how some of the energy ends up as an apparent increase in mass. Note though that the rest mass is always the same regardless. Rest mass is the mass of an object that is at rest with respect to the observer, so no corrections for speed are involved at all.

Can you outline the procedure? I really don't understand this last unit of quantum mechanics. Like what is the full equation? I would be solving for v

EgpYo said:
Can you outline the procedure? I really don't understand this last unit of quantum mechanics. Like what is the full equation? I would be solving for v
Well, the relativistic kinetic energy is given by:

$$KE = m_o c^2 \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} - 1 \right] $$

and you would be looking for v, which will get a tad messy algebraically.

1. What is a 2.2 eV electron?

A 2.2 eV electron is an electron with an energy level of 2.2 electron volts (eV). This measurement is used to describe the amount of energy needed to move an electron from its current energy level to a higher energy level.

2. How do you calculate the properties of a 2.2 eV electron?

The properties of a 2.2 eV electron can be calculated using the formula E = hc/λ, where E is the energy in joules, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J·s), c is the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m/s), and λ is the wavelength of the electron in meters.

3. What is the significance of a 2.2 eV electron?

A 2.2 eV electron is considered a low energy electron and is commonly used in electronic devices and semiconductors. It is also an important energy level in the study of quantum mechanics and the behavior of electrons in materials.

4. How is a 2.2 eV electron different from other energy levels?

A 2.2 eV electron is a specific energy level that is lower than the energy levels of other electrons. It is also considered a relatively low energy compared to other particles, such as photons.

5. Can the properties of a 2.2 eV electron be changed?

Yes, the properties of a 2.2 eV electron can be changed by altering its energy level through various methods such as applying an external electric field or introducing it to a different material. However, the energy level of an electron is a fundamental property and cannot be changed without external influence.