Proving Multiples in Sequence 2, 5, 8, 11, 14

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
In summary: For example, 3 is an element of {an} because it's a multiple of 2 (2*1=2) and 3 is not 1 (3*0=3). Similarly, 6 is an element of {an} because it's a multiple of 2 (2*4=8) and 6 is not 1 (6*1=6).
Natasha1
Take any number in the sequence

2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26, 29, 32, 35, 38, 41, 44, 47, 50, 53, 56, 59, 62, 65, 68, 71, 74, 77, 80, 83, 86, 89, 92, 95, 98, 101, 104, 107, 110, 113, 116, 119, 122, 125, 128, 131, 134, 137, 140, 143, 146, 149, 152, 155, 158, 161, 164, 167, 170, 173, 176, 179, ...

and investigate which multiples of that number are in the sequence. Is the result true for all members of the sequence? Prove any result you find.

My answers:

2 gives 2, 8, 14, 20, 26,...
5 gives 5, 20, 35, 50, 65, 80,...
8 gives 8, 32, 56, 80, 104, 128, ...
11 gives 11, 44, 77, 110, 143, 176, ...

It looks as if the any number in the sequence has multiples of that number. Any clever one of you could tell me how to prove this as I am stuck please :frown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Do you think the fact that successive numbers in the original sequence differ by 3 matters? :)

Tide said:
HINT: Do you think the fact that successive numbers in the original sequence differ by 3 matters? :)

Probably but I am not really more advanced to be honest :redface:

The general term is 3n - 1 that much I know

Last edited:
How about the following then:
The multiples of 2 obey: 2*1, 2*4, 2*7, 2*10..
The multiples of 5 obey: 5*1, 5*4, 5*7, 5*10..

arildno said:
How about the following then:

I see :bugeye: but how from here can I prove it's true for all numbers in the sequence? I need a general solution basically

The key is to find the general term of the sequence of multiple.

You've already found the general term of the original sequence. Call it [itex]a_n[/itex].

Then select any number in the original sequence and find the general term of the sequence of multiples of that number such that the result is also in the original. Call it [itex]b_n[/itex].

Show that when you multiplie an element of [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] by an element of [itex]\{b_n\}[/itex] the result fits the general form of [itex]a_n[/itex]. This means that the result is also in a_n.

quasar987 said:
The key is to find the general term of the sequence of multiple.

You've already found the general term of the original sequence. Call it [itex]a_n[/itex].

Then select any number in the original sequence and find the general term of the sequence of multiples of that number such that the result is also in the original. Call it [itex]b_n[/itex].

Show that when you multiplie an element of [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] by an element of [itex]\{b_n\}[/itex] the result fits the general form of [itex]a_n[/itex]. This means that the result is also in a_n.

so the general term of the original sequence is an = 3n + 2

Now, the general term of the sequence of multiples of 2 is 2(3n +2) = 6n + 12 = 6 (n +2) :confused: ?

Now what should I do from here?

Natasha1 said:
so the general term of the original sequence is an = 3n + 2

Now, the general term of the sequence of multiples of 2 is 2(3n +2) = 6n + 12 = 6 (n +2) :confused: ?

Now what should I do from here?

You said earlier:

The general term is 3n - 1 that much I know

That was correct. If you let n take all values in [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex], then [itex]\{3n - 1\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] spans all values of the original sequence.

But {2(3n +2)} does not span all values of the sequence of multiples , even if you let n take the value 0 as well as the first number of this sequence is then 4, while you want it to be 1.

arildno said:
See? the sequence of multiples is 1,4,7,10,...

Now find the correct form of [itex]b_n[/itex] such that [itex]\{b_n\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}} = \{1,4,7,10,...\}[/itex]

quasar987 said:
You said earlier:

That was correct. If you let n take all values in [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex], then [itex]\{3n - 1\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] spans all values of the original sequence.

But {2(3n +2)} does not span all values of the sequence of multiples , even if you let n take the value 0 as well as the first number of this sequence is then 4, while you want it to be 1.

See? the sequence of multiples is 1,4,7,10,...

Now find the correct form of [itex]b_n[/itex] such that [itex]\{b_n\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}} = \{1,4,7,10,...\}[/itex]

so bn = 3n - 2

What do you mean by an element of {an} or {bn}? Is it a number in the sequence? Sorry I am very new to all this

Last edited:
Natasha1 said:
so bn = 3n - 2
That's better.

Natasha1 said:
What do you mean by an element of {an} or {bn}? Is it a number in the sequence? Sorry I am very new to all this
What I meant is that a number x is an element of {an} if x is a number in the original sequence. A formal way to put it, now that we have the general form of a_n would be to say that x is an element of {an} if [itex]x = 3n_x - 1[/itex] for a certain integer [itex]n_x \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

Now the idea is to show that any given element of {an} multiplied by any given element of {bn} is in {an}, i.e. is of the form [itex]3n - 1[/itex] for a certain integer [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
That's better.

What I meant is that a number x is an element of {an} if x is a number in the original sequence. A formal way to put it, now that we have the general form of a_n would be to say that x is an element of {an} if [itex]x = 3n_x - 1[/itex] for a certain integer [itex]n_x \in \mathbb{N}[/itex].

Now the idea is to show that any given element of {an} multiplied by any given element of {bn} is in {an}, i.e. is of the form [itex]3n - 1[/itex] for a certain integer [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]

Ah ha! So if I multiply an * bn = (3n-1)(3n-2) = 9n^2 - 9n +2 ?

How does what you wrote shows that (3n-1)(3n-2) is an element of an ?!?

Start by answering that, it's a good first step. After that we'll look into why just showing this does not solve the problem entirely.

quasar987 said:
How does what you wrote shows that (3n-1)(3n-2) is an element of an ?!?

Start by answering that, it's a good first step. After that we'll look into why just showing this does not solve the problem entirely.

The answer is I simply don't know how to do it. I won't lie... my brain just can't take me there as I have never proved anything like this before

Alright, alright, no problem, look. You've found that an * bn = (3n-1)(3n-2) = 9n^2 - 9n +2.

You know that every element of the sequence {am} is of the form 3m - 1, where m in an integer.

To show that an * bn is an element of {am} is then equivalent to showing that an * bn is of the form 3m - 1 where m in an integer.

So, can you algebraically rearange 9n^2 - 9n +2 so it takes on the form 3m - 1?

Hint: +2 = -1 + 3.

quasar987 said:
Alright, alright, no problem, look. You've found that an * bn = (3n-1)(3n-2) = 9n^2 - 9n +2.

You know that every element of the sequence {am} is of the form 3m - 1, where m in an integer.

To show that an * bn is an element of {am} is then equivalent to showing that an * bn is of the form 3m - 1 where m in an integer.

So, can you algebraically rearange 9n^2 - 9n +2 so it takes on the form 3m - 1?

Hint: +2 = -1 + 3.

I thought you said the multiplying an*bn was rubbish? So I don't get why you are telling me start from 9n^2 - 9n +2

the answer must therefore be:

9n^2-9n+2 = 3(3n^2-3n+1)-1 = 3K-1 which is of the form am :smile:

Natasha1 said:
I thought you said the multiplying an*bn was rubbish?
When did I say that? I said it was a good first step.

Natasha1 said:
the answer must therefore be:

9n^2-9n+2 = 3(3n^2-3n+1)-1 = 3K-1 which is of the form am

Correct!

Now the only problem is that you only proved that the nth term of thhe sequence {am} times the nth term of the sequence {bm} is in {am}. You need to show that any elment of {am} times any element of {bm} was in {am}.

To do this, simply show, as you just did, that [itex]a_n_1 * b_n_2 = (3n_1 - 1)(3n_2 - 2)[/itex] is in {am}.

quasar987 said:
When did I say that? I said it was a good first step.

Correct!

Now the only problem is that you only proved that the nth term of thhe sequence {am} times the nth term of the sequence {bm} is in {am}. You need to show that any elment of {am} times any element of {bm} was in {am}.

To do this, simply show, as you just did, that [itex]a_n_1 * b_n_2 = (3n_1 - 1)(3n_2 - 2)[/itex] is in {am}.

I get at the end 3(3n1n2 - 2n1 - n2 +1) - 1 = 3K-1 is that it?

Natasha1 said:
I get at the end 3(3n1n2 - 2n1 - n2 +1) - 1 = 3K-1 is that it?

Well is 3n1n2 - 2n1 - n2 +1 a positive integer? If so, then 3(3n1n2 - 2n1 - n2 +1) - 1 is in am, and you've won. You've won the privilege of writing your very first

[tex]\mathcal{Q.E.D.}[/tex]

Bravo!

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
Well is 3n1n2 - 2n1 - n2 +1 a positive integer? If so, then 3(3n1n2 - 2n1 - n2 +1) - 1 is in am, and you've won. You've won the privilege of writing your very first

[tex]\mathcal{Q.E.D.}[/tex]

Bravo!

How do you prove it's a positive integer?

Natasha1 said:
How do you prove it's a positive integer?

we found that [itex](3n_1 -1)(3n_2 - 2) = 3K -1[/itex] and now we want to show that [itex]K\geq 1[/itex]. Well first we notice that [itex]3n_1 -1 \geq 2[/itex] and [itex]3n_2 -2\geq 1[/itex]. So [itex](3n_1 -1)(3n_2 - 2)\geq 2[/itex] Hence, [itex]3K -1 \geq 2 \Leftrightarrow 3K \geq 3 \Leftrightarrow K \geq 1[/itex]

quasar987 said:
we found that [itex](3n_1 -1)(3n_2 - 2) = 3K -1[/itex] and now we want to show that [itex]K\geq 1[/itex]. Well first we notice that [itex]3n_1 -1 \geq 2[/itex] and [itex]3n_2 -2\geq 1[/itex]. So [itex](3n_1 -1)(3n_2 - 2)\geq 2[/itex] Hence, [itex]3K -1 \geq 2 \Leftrightarrow 3K \geq 3 \Leftrightarrow K \geq 1[/itex]
quasar987, by this way you have proved that an bm must be an element of {an}. But, what if there exists some number x, and some number i such that: ax i is also an element of {an}, but i is not an element {bm}?
----------
May I suggest a little different way:
[tex]a_n \equiv 2 \mbox{ mod } 3, \ \forall n \in \mathbb{N} ^ *[/tex]
If an * bm must also in {an}, that means:
[tex]a_n \ b_m \equiv 2 \mbox{ mod } 3, \ \forall n, m \in \mathbb{N} ^ *[/tex]
So what's [tex]b_m \equiv ? \mbox{ mod } 3[/tex]?

Last edited:
that's an elegant and more effective way!

1. How do you prove that the numbers 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 are multiples of 3?

To prove that a number is a multiple of 3, you need to show that it can be divided by 3 without leaving any remainder. In this sequence, if you divide each number by 3, you will get a whole number without any remainder. Therefore, 2, 5, 8, 11, and 14 are multiples of 3.

2. Is there a pattern in the sequence 2, 5, 8, 11, 14?

Yes, there is a pattern in this sequence. Each number is 3 more than the previous one. This pattern continues as 17, 20, 23, and so on.

3. How many multiples of 3 are there in this sequence?

There are infinite multiples of 3 in this sequence as the pattern continues infinitely. However, in the given sequence, there are 5 multiples of 3.

4. Can you prove that this sequence is an arithmetic progression?

Yes, this sequence is an arithmetic progression because there is a common difference of 3 between each term. This means that the difference between any two consecutive terms is the same.

5. Are there any other ways to prove that these numbers are multiples of 3?

Yes, there are other ways to prove that these numbers are multiples of 3. For example, you can use the divisibility rule of 3 which states that if the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 3, then the number itself is also divisible by 3. In this case, the sum of the digits of each number (2, 5, 8, 11, 14) is 2, 5, 8, 2, and 5 respectively, all of which are divisible by 3. Therefore, these numbers are also multiples of 3.