Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2.5 Mobile Hard Drives

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    2.5" Mobile Hard Drives

Why its capacity is still at about maximum 100 GB, seldom has 120GB.
    When can we increase it to >200GB ?
    Can we increase the platter diameter to 3.5" but the drive remain flat so that it can fit nicely into the notebook? This will increase its capacity.:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You answered your first question with your second: the form factor means that you get smaller and fewer platters in a 2.5" drive than a 3.5" drive and therefore less capacity.

The answer to the second question is if you are a drive/pc manufacturer, you can do pretty much whatever you want - but I don't think there is that much demand for much larger laptop hard drives. Certainly not enough to justify the expense of creating a proprietary form factor.

4. Feb 28, 2006 #3
    Why most notebooks/laptops are not designed to have 2 spaces for 2 HDDs ? Like Desktop, we can install upto 4 HDDs.:confused:

5. Feb 28, 2006 #4
    That's basically what Russ just told you. Laptops are made to be small, light, and portable. A slot for a second hard drive would of course make them bigger, and since there is not enough demand for this feature as Russ has said, PC manufacturers aren't making them.

6. Feb 28, 2006 #5
    my neighbor's desktop has up to 6 hard disks! and each disk, she installs differernt kinds of software, and games. Another computer has only 3 disks mainly for middleware, her job is going down on different levels of hardware/software, a job like that is what I want in the near future.

7. Mar 1, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Basic to midrange servers are not fundamentally different from PCs and they can have dozens or even hundreds of drives, stuck together into disk arrays or disk packs.

8. Mar 2, 2006 #7
    Seagate's new perpendicular recording technology stores data in dipoles pointed normal to the surface in order to increase platter density. I believe they currently sell a 160gb notebook drive using this, and expect to increase that significantly in the future. They believe it will allow < 1" drives to exceed 80gb capacity without too much fuss.

9. Mar 2, 2006 #8
    She goes down on different levels of hardware/software?? what does that mean I wonder :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?