1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 answers to same integral?

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    2 answers to same integral??!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ive been giong mental over this. There seems to be two different answers to the same integral. I cant work out which is correct.

Integral from 0 to infinity of:

x(squared) exp(-2Bx(squared))

2. Relevant equations

What is the right answer?

3. The attempt at a solution

Integration by parts gives the answer as: -1/2B

My course lecturer gives the answer as: (1/8B) x route of (pie/2B)

I think she must have used the general formula:

Integral from -infinity to + infinity of x(power2n)exp(-Ax(squared)) = [1x3x5...(2n-1)]x(pie/A)/2(powern)A(powern)

and divided it by 2 as we only want the integral from 0 to infinity.

Whos right?? Can anyone work this out?
    Please! write it down and see if you get the answer i did by integration by parts. If you do, do you think the lecturer is wrong?

Please help, i have an important exam tomorrow!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. May 15, 2008 #3
    Ok, used the integrator and.... It came out as the standard integral suggests.

But why ia the integration by parts method wrong?? Im sure i did it right. does integration by parts not work on certain functions or something wierd like that? Or did i just get it wrong- what do you get?
  5. May 15, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you show us your working, perhaps we could point out where you've gone wrong.
  6. May 15, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi siresmith! :smile:

If you integrate [tex]\int x^2 e^{-2Bx^2}[/tex] by parts,

you still end up with [tex]\int e^{-2Bx^2}[/tex] … didn't you? :confused:
  7. May 15, 2008 #6
    Feynman trick-- take the derivative of I with respect to B.

I= \int e^{-2Bx^2}

If you know that integral already you will already be done. If not integrate your integral [tex]\frac{dI}{dB}[/tex] by parts and to find it as an expression in terms of I. Solve the de by separating and integrating.

But you should already know what I is, it's a classic result and it must have been given to you.
  8. May 15, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am right that in integration by parts you let u= x and [itex]dv= xe^{-Bx^2}[/itex]?
  9. May 15, 2008 #8
    Yup and the boundary term vanishes, the odd integral vanishes and you're left with something like I/2B.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?